00} Prologue

Avery Rhodes has the most perfect boyfriend any girl could wish for. Charming, sweet, completely loyal, and like Avery, is always mature and responsible in every decision he makes. He's the type of guy every girl sees in their dreams, and the type of guy every guy wants to be.

When Logan, Avery's boyfriend, goes out of town, he leaves Avery in the arms of his boisterous, bad-boy cousin, Wade. Wade and Avery rebuild their friendship that they had once upon a time... Little did they know the they'd cause.

Avery and Wade, both have something in common: they both love the person that they are about to hurt the most.

Prologue

"Seven minutes in heaven?" twelve-year-old Vanessa suggested, her smile slowly becoming a smirk. "Who's in?

Wade Cohen was undoubtedly the first amongst us to put his hand in, after Vanessa. Wade was thirteen, and older than all of us by a year, so I guessed that he'd already played this game before. What was the worst that could happen? Soon after, JC and Jamie-Lynn's hands were in the centre of the circle we had formed, leaving Logan.

"Come on, Logan," Wade persuaded, nudging his cousin lightly on the arm. "It'll be fun."

We were all friends back then. Logan, Wade, Vanessa, Jamie-Lynn, JC and I always hung out during summer. It was just something we did. Call it tradition, if you like. This summer, however, was different. We were all beginning to mature, and notice things about the opposite sex. Our sleepover games usually consisted of monopoly, cards and blind man's bluff, but that summer, Vanessa suggested we play this game 'Seven Minutes in Heaven'. I was never sure if it was that one night that changed us all, or whether it was merely the fact we all grew up.

Finally, Logan put his hand in and the game commenced.

We all watched, wide-eyed as Vanessa spun the empty pop bottle among us. The bottle-top end of the Coca-Cola bottle landed on JC. He grinned as he stood, holding his hand out for Vanessa, who willingly took it, and they hurried off into the closet.

Giggles sounded through the room as we listened in on the sound of JC and Vanessa kissing on the opposite side of the closet. The sound reminded me of a baby drinking from a milk bottle, which made me laugh even harder. "It's been seven minutes!" Logan exclaimed, eyeing the watch on his wrist. Logan was never the type for recklessness. Being the sensible one, he always stopped things before they got out of hand. Vanessa stalked out of the closet, followed by a very satisfied looking JC, and returned the circle we were sat in.

"Your turn," Vanessa said to Wade who was sat beside her. Smirking, he leaned into the circle, reaching for the bottle and spun it. No one's eyes left the bottle as it spun, not even Logan's. Soon, the bottle came to a halt, pointing right toward me. I looked up at Wade whose smirk hadn't left his face. He stood up and walked over to the closed.

Holding the door open, he asked, "You coming or what?"

"You don't have to go," Logan told me, with his hand on my shoulder.

"No," I said. "I want to."

I got up and followed Wade into the closet. Although it was dark in there, I could still pretty much make out Wade's face. At first, I was scared. I hadn't ever kissed anyone other than my family before. Wade was older. What if he didn't want to kiss me?

The feeling of fear soon passed when I noticed he wasn't smirking anymore. His eyes were drilled into mine, and it was as if he saw all of me. Not just Avery Rhodes, and everything I appeared to be on the outside, but everything inside that nobody else knew about. By the look he gave me, I felt as though he could see it. We were both sat opposite each other, legs crossed. He reached for my chin with his hand, holding my face gently in place. Our faces were so close that they were almost touching, and his warm breath tickled the surface of my skin. And then he kissed me. His lips lingered there for a moment, giving me the change to kiss him back. It felt like magic, the way his lips were so in sync with mine. Just in that moment, there was nowhere else I felt I'd rather be.

author's note // i don't know if any of you will like this, or if it makes sense, or if it's too similar to something you've already read. i'm sorry if it's bad, but if you feel that it is please tell me. i want your honest opinion on it, not just 'great job! update', even though i'm appreciative of every comment i get.

i'm not only writing this for me, but you, so let me know what you think.

ps: i know that this is short, but it's a prologue and they are generally short and cover a page of a printed book, and the upcoming chapters will be longer