Angels to Fly (Soon)

White lips, pale face

Breathing in the snowflakes

Burnt lungs, sour taste

The ‘snowflakes’ are used to symbolize her taking drugs. This language also portrays her innocence and youth — it makes it seem like she doesn’t actually know how bad the drugs are.

Breathing in snowflakes can also be taken literally, as the girl portrayed in this song is a prostitute, so she could very well be outside during a snowy night.

Light's gone, day's end

While it means it’s no longer day time, it could also extend to a point where all of her days have become nights. There is no more light — i.e. happiness, in her life because she spends all of her time doing drugs.

Struggling to pay rent

The girl isn’t very wealthy and she struggles to pay her bills.

Long nights, strange me

She’s forced to work as a prostitute, selling sex to ‘strange’ men. Her nights are long and tiring. 

And they say

She’s in the Class A team

The Class A Team is nothing to do with sport. It’s used as a metaphor — she’s on Class A drugs. Also, the ‘they say’ tells us that people are talking about her behind her back and look down on her.

Stuck in her daydream

Been this way since 18

She has no prospects — she’s going to have to be like this forever.

But lately

Her face seems

Slowly sinking, wasting

Crumbling like pastries

She’s been able to put up with it for many long years, but not anymore. She hates doing what she become white and pale because of drugs. Because white is the colour of purity, it adds to her innocence has to do and is slowly losing the will to live. Pastries crumble, because they are delicate and fragile. Angel has become frail in body and mind from drugs she’s been taking. Her face has also.

The worst things in life come free to us

Means that we get the worst things for free. The worst thing in her life is not the drugs, wish she has to pay for, but the fact that somebody is abusing her. She gets this for free. This can be kind of ironic if you think about it because she actually gets paid for the abuse.

She certainly has to pay most of what she earns to her pimp so the ironic thing about this is that she has to pay someone for getting abused, while most of us get this for free. A take on the common the best things in life come for free’ saying.

Cos we're just under the upper hand

She’s just under the position of control. She nearly has control of her life, but not quite.

And go mad for a couple of grams

She’ll do anything (e.g. go mad in bed) for a couple of grams of drugs. She’s addicted.