Genesis 1:1--2:4 (The Story of Creation)

Chapter 1

1:1 In the beginning, when God created the universe,

1:2 the earth was formless and desolate. The raging ocean that covered everything was engulfed in total darkness, and the Spirit of God was moving over the water.

1:3 Then God commanded, "Let there be light" - and light appeared.

1:4 God was pleased with what He saw. Then He separated the light from the darkness,

1:5 and He named the light "Day" and the darkness "Night." Evening passed and morning came - that was the first day.

1:6-1:7 Then God commanded, "Let there be a dome to divide the water and to keep it in two separate places" - and it was done. So God made a dome, and it separated the water under it from the water above it.

1:8 He named the dome "Sky." Evening passed and morning came - that was the second day.

1:9 Then God commanded, "Let the water below the sky come together in one place, so that the land will appear" - and it was done.

1:10 He named the land "Earth," and the water which had come together He named "Sea." And God was pleased with what He saw.

1:11 Then He commanded, "Let the earth produce all kinds of plants, those that bear grain and those that bear fruit" - and it was done.

1:12 So the earth produced all kinds of plants, and God was pleased with what He saw.

1:13 Evening passed and morning came - that was the third day.

1:14 Then God commanded, "Let lights appear in the skyto separate day from night and to show the time when days, years, and religious festivals begin;

1:15 they will shine in the sky to give light to the earth" - and it was done.

1:16 So God made the two larger lights, the sun to rule over the day and the moon to rule over the night; He also made the stars.

1:17 He placed the lights in the sky to shine on earth,

1:18 to rule over the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God was pleased with what He saw.

1:19 Evening passed and morning came - that was the fourth day.

1:20 Then God commanded, "Let the water be filled with many kinds of living beings, and let air be filled with birds."

1:21 So God created the great sea monsters, all kinds of creatures that live in the water, and all kinds of birds. And God was pleased with what He saw.

1:22 He blessed them all and told the creatures that live in the water to reproduce and to fill the sea, and He told the birds to increase in number.

1:23 Evening passed and morning came - that was the fifth day.

1:24 Then God commanded, "Let the earth produce all kinds of animal life: domestic and wild, large and small" - and it was done.

1:25 So God made them all, and He was pleased with what He saw.

1:26 Then God said, "And now We will make human beings; they will be like Us and resemble Us. They will have power over the fish, the birds, and all animals, domestic and wild, large and small."

1:27 So God created human beings, making them to be like Himself. He created themmale and female,

1:28 blessed them, and said, "Have many children, so that your descendants will live all over the earth and bring it under their control. I am putting you in charge of the fish, the birds, and all the wild animals.

1:29 I have provided all kinds of grain and all kinds of frit for you to eat;

1:30 but for all the wild animals and for all the birds I have provided grass and leafy plants for food" - and it was done.

1:31 God looked at everything He had made, and He was very pleased. Evening passed and morning came - that was the sixth day.

Chapter 2

2:1 And so the whole universe was completed.

2:2 By the seventh day God finished what He had been doing and stopped working.

2:3 He blessed the seventh day and set it apart as a special day, because by that day He had completed His creation and stopped working.

2:4 And that is how the universe was created.