Workshop 4 - The Hidden Story

The story Arc is a technical tool that sits invisibly behind the story to provide structure and meaning. There are different types of Story Arc, from the simple three act play to the 22 point arc used by my screen-writing hero John Truby (see Shrek as an example).

We’re using a standard 7 point Story Arc. These are the steps on the way from the start of the story to the end:

Stasis: The way things are now, particularly the way the Protagonist is now - perhaps lovelorn.

Trigger: Something happens to kick the story into motion - maybe a new boy arrives at school.

Quest: This causes the Protagonist to go in search of something – treasure, love or acceptance maybe.

Complication: The Protagonist meets one or more obstacles on the journey which have to be overcome – perhaps a competitor or a love rival (Personified Antagonist) or a situation that pulls them apart (Situational Antagonist).

Choice: The Protagonist has to make difficult decisions to overcome the complications (Protagonist decides to confronts the Antagonist).

Climax: The decisions have consequences which lead to the dramatic highpoint of the story (Protagonist actually confronts the Antagonist).

Reversal: Show what changes the quest, complication(s), choice(s), and action(s) have produced. These could be physical or character traits – the Protagonist has stood up to the Antagonist and won/lost, but the love interest switches allegiance out of Admiration/compassion.

Resolution: The way things are now – Protagonist and love interest are deeply in love.

Here’s an exercise to help you decide if a story idea will work: Produce a simple three line plot – Premise, Complication, Climax, then build a simple 7 part story arc around it. If it's not working, move on to the next idea; if it does work, develop it some more.

Nick.

Hmm, seems like a more detailed take on Freytag's plot diagram. Interesting points!  Pietroghani   Pietroghani, Thank you for introducing me to Freytag, This particular story arc is exactly Freytag's plot diagram, but restated from the point view of character need and desire. I find that if the plot and character are woven together in the story arc, the story becomes much more organic and the characters come alive within the story.

Personally, I tend to use John Truby's 22 point story arc for the overall story - which is even more deeply entwined with several character's traits, and the 7 point arc (less point 7) for most scenes.

Nick

An interesting diagram to say the least. I'm usually not aware of such a 7-point or 22-point story arc. The most I've heard of is either the three step version or the five point one.  SchuylerThorpe

@SchuylerThorpe, it really doesn't matter how many points you have on your story arc. The point is to understand that stories actually do have some sort of universal structure behind them and if you understand how your story works you can manipulate your readers and make a more exciting story.

The one story arc you must NEVER miss is the Reversal - always show how your character has changes as a result of the story. Keep that in mind while planning/writing your story and it will keep you on track.

Nick

Next week – Scene construction.