Restart

Chapter 1

Aralia

Suddenly, a bell rang through Zone 5 and everyone else knew at once what to do and were walking casually to the center of the Zone, as I followed, utterly confused. I glanced at a girl who looked about my age and who was following obediently. She met my gaze and I gave her a look that I tried to make questioning and nodded toward the crowd, as if asking her 'WHATS THE BIG FUSS ABOUT'? She looked at me strangely, her head titled to the side with confusion.

"Zone gathering." She said in her unusually dull voice that all people here talk with. I try to make my voice sound the same as I say,

"Why are we having a Zone gathering?"

Now she looked at me as if I had just asked her the stupidest question she had ever heard. Which quite possibly, I could have. I silently scolded myself for being so careless, and looked up expectantly for my answer.

She shrugged off my question and simple replied "Announcement"and walked away calmly.

Wow, these people really give me the creeps.

I tried act as normal as I could as I weaved myself through a maze of bodies until I was safely hidden in the middle of the crowd. I quietly hoped I was well hidden and appearing to be just another dull citizen of this dreary Zone.

Finally the bell stopped and everyone was silent as the mayor tapped on the microphone to gather our attention. The small stage in the middle of the paved clearing was occupied by a stout man whom stood behind a podium. Behind him was a wall of glass.

I was surprised by how proudly he held himself, as if he was better then everyone around him and daring them to contradict him. He radiated obvious authority, but his face was a blank slate, emotionally unreadable.

"As you all know, you were called out here today because of some startling news we were recently informed of." The mayor said. He paused dramatically for a second while others stared up at him, eager to hear what he was about to say. Needless to say, I was not among them. A sickening sense of dread coursed through my body. I had a feeling that whatever he was going to say wasn't going to be good. I looked up at him, my eyes wide with anticipation.

Then, suddenly his dull voice filled my head once more. "A student from Restart's School For The Future has trespassed our borders and is hiding among you. Her name is Aralia and her picture will be shown here, thanks to Restart sending us her photo identification forms from the school data base." He gestures to the wall behind him and a small click signals a holographic face to appear. It was a thirteen year old girl with light blonde hair and her dark, tired, brown eyes looking extremely sad. I tensed and looked around frantically, wondering how long it would take someone to recognize the girl in the picture. The one who they had passed by on the streets without a second glance, the one who they had seen for weeks without really knowing who she was, or why she was there. But as ignorant as they were, I knew it wouldn't be long before they made the connection.

"HEY!" I hear someone behind me shout. "Look, she's right there!" I turn around to see a man in his thirties pointing his finger straight at me

It felt as though the air had turned cold as I froze in place, my jaw clamping shut to fight off an oncoming scream. I could feel everyone's gaze on me as I looked around lamely for an escape.

I didn't know what to do.

Then, before I could think twice about it, I bolted.

Jumping over people as I went, not caring as I shoved others to the ground.

I refused to believe the reality of what just happened, refused to believe it was true. As if that could save me. As if running away would some how wake me from this terribly realistic nightmare.