Chapter 15

April 20th, 11:00 a.m. The Upper West Side, New York City

This chapter is dedicated to wattpadder Jarrel Lewis, who was the third person to read through my story.

The outstretched fingers of morning sunlight through the blinds illuminated her weathered face. Aroused from her not-so-sound sleep, Kate raised them all the way, allowing the sunlight to flood the apartment. The overcast that had cloaked the City had lifted. In the light, her weight loss definitely showed. She had scratched the crooks of her elbows and knees raw during the night. Her nails looked ragged. She hadn't eaten anything with real nutritional value in weeks. Her face had that unmistakable emaciated look to it, cheek bones poking out through her skin. Why drink coffee when I can snort cocaine instead? And she did just that; two deliberate snorts, one up each nostril.

Her physical condition notwithstanding, Kate took the time to stretch. She allowed herself to enjoy the respite away from Vanessa and the time to pursue her new project that was Eric Stone. Didn't a knight in shining armor actually rescue me last night? She decided to find out, leaving the Vanessa issue by the wayside for the time being. She took a pleasant stroll to the gym, with no intention whatsoever of working out.

She wasn't disappointed. Walking in, she spotted Eric instantly. He was spotting a balding, middle aged man with a barbell, helping him with reps. She found herself staring at him again, caught herself and charged ahead as she walked up to him. "Hey, stranger," she said.

"Just a sec'." He excused himself from his portly client. "Well, don't you look as pretty as a peach today," he said, charmed by her beaming smile.

"Hey, you said if I wanted something more from you, I should stop by...and you never gave me your number."

He led her to the door to the stairwell.

"I didn't think you'd stop in so soon. That's all. I'll give you my number then. How's that?" he said with a reassuring wink.

"Hey, I like you and I want to know if what you have is real."

"Sure. I can arrange something tonight. Ever been to the Dance Factory?"

"It's on my to-do list."

"I can meet you in front of the club, or...?"

"You know where I live," she said, sparing him the discomfort of having to ask.

"Sounds good. I'll be by around 9. Just remember to bring cash."

"Just remember to bring cash," he instructed before leaving her to wonder whether he was really into her or not.

* * *

Some like to build model airplanes or do needlepoint but Kate liked doing science experiments to pass the time by preparing cool chemical reactions of the kind that high school science nerds would die for.

When she let Danny in, she hadn't even bothered to get ready for her 'night out', playing the familiar role of absentminded professor.

"Sorry, Eric. I was working on something in the kitchen. I still gotta change. Feel free," she said, motioning to the sofa, unaccustomed as she was at being an ever-so-gracious hostess. "I'd offer you something, but...here," she said, tossing a bag of gummy bears at him before she walked into her bedroom.

Danny's detailed dossier on her described her continuous drug use through college, finding friends who perpetuated her habit but eventually, her habit escalated to such a level that it drove them away while they matured and settled into high profile jobs. The constant search for the next high and subsequent low exceeded her desire to maintain meaningful friendships. They saw what heroin was doing to her but no one had been willing to pull her out of the abyss.