Chapter 9- A giant Help

It felt like forever. Nellie was stunned. It was just a . . . accident. He didn’t push her. He didn’t hit her. It was her fault 100%. She just wouldn’t stop bugging him, trying to make him stand up. Her grip slipped and she fell back into the door.

She’d hurt herself. That wasn’t a lie.

The pain in her arm wasn’t terrible but it did feel like it got hit with a bat or something. But it obviously wasn’t broken or anything because she’d be crying. Or it could that be the adrenaline. That’s what it’s called right? That’s what they say happens. Your adrenaline kicks in and you can hardly feel pain.

Suddenly the wood of the coffee table in front of her became very fascinating as she focused on it. Not a peep escaped her lips as she stared and waited. As the air filled her lungs, her chest fell and rose slowly as she drug her breathing out.

Suddenly the roof popped up. She jumped a little, causing a spasm of random pain to ignite her sore arm like a match. “Ouch!” she cried out.

“Oh, sorry for scaring you.” Dr. Holland said regretfully as Nellie looked up to meet his gaze. She didn’t even feel up to arguing that she wasn’t scared, the pain was just too much.

“Dad, what do you need me to do?” Colton’s worried face suddenly popped up beside his fathers. They both looked down at me before his Dr. H replied looking into his son’s eyes.

“She is more comfortable around you, always has been, pick her up and bring her down to the island in the kitchen. There’s more light in there.” Suddenly Dr. H stood up straight and started to walk away. “I’m going to get my things. Now where did I leave my magnifying spectacles?” He started to mumble to himself as he left.

“Hey girl, how you feeling?” Colton asked.

“Um my arm hurts but other than that I’m fine. Don’t think I’m afraid of you now or anything. It was my fault, don’t feel bad.”

“I pulled back, if I had just gotten up you wouldn’t have gotten hurt.”

“Well it was that stupid bathrooms fault for having a door that opened into the bathroom rather than being outside in the hall where it’d take up less space.”

“Now who’s picking on the bathroom?” Colton smiled down at Nellie and she realized her mistake.

“Hey! That’s different!” she smiled at him and started to point out at him but barely made it a centimeter before her arm got another spasm of pain pulsating through it. She managed to stifle her cry of pain into a whimper as she cradled her arm in her other hand again.

Colton’s expression suddenly became blank as a plank as he reached down and scooped up her tiny body in his hands. The movement didn’t disturb her arm too bad but she still found herself clenching her jaw trying to ignore her injury.

Her pulse seemed to ring louder in her ears and then the next thing she knew she was downstairs in what seemed like no time at all and was being set gently on the island in the center of the kitchen.

Dr. H came in just then spectacles resting on his nose with a black bag in his hand.

“Okay Nellie, let’s take a look at that arm of yours.”

No one spoke it was as if simply breathing too loud could make the prognosis worse or something. After he inspected her arm, applying pressure to different areas and seeing her reaction, he pulled away and smiled.

“It doesn’t appear to be broken. I think you just bruised it up pretty bad. We bought a much of human size first aid when we heard you’d be joining us in our home. I’m pretty sure Delilah bought an arm sling. When she gets back from dropping Owen off at his friend’s house I’ll have her look for it.