Chapter 16 - Is This What Death Feels Like?

Storm's POV
It was the weirdest feeling, dying. It's not at all like I thought. I thought I would feel the pain of my life fading away and then nothing at all. But I was wrong.

We've all been told you see a bright light, but for me, that wasn't the case. After the bullet hit me, it was as if I'd been sucked into a void. I could still hear their voices, the voices of Rico and Cortez, but I couldn't sense them around me nor make out words.

I could only struggle, trying to force my heavy eyelids open. But no matter what, I couldn't manage it. I could only lay and listen to the muffled voices, waiting for them to fade away like I knew they eventually would.

After a while, the distant sound of Cortez's voice disappeared following a scream. After that, only Rico's strangely soft, reassuring voice could be heard. It was like a calming melody to my ears, even though I couldn't form words in my hazy mind.

Unexpectedly, I felt a huge pressure pushing down on me, especially on my head. It happened so fast, one minute feeling nothing waiting to die and the next immense pain. I tried to cry out, but no sound came out and my mouth remained clamped shut.

Oh god, is this what death feels like? Why must it hurt so badly? As if knowing you're dying wasn't enough...

I tried to move my hands to my head, willing to do something, anything, to make my suffering end. But I remained as immobile as ever, unsure of what clutching my head would have done anyway even if I could.

As suddenly as it came, the pressure disappeared, leaving me empty and confused yet again. I felt so alone, I wish Rico was here...

I noticed that my cheeks felt slightly damp, and it was only then that I released I was crying. Damn, why must I feel this vulnerable, this weak?

Sharp stabs of pain worked their way along my back, and more tears fell down my cheeks.

Make it stop, it hurts! Please, please, just let me die! I begged silently, unable to do anything to stop the pain alone. Why can't I just die, why must I be tortured like this?

"Shh, baby don't cry" Rico's voice whispered to me, gently ghosting over the shell of my ear, as if he was right here with me rather than somewhere in the distance.

I tried to call out his name and open my eyes, but I couldn't make my voice work and my eyes remained firmly shut. I wanted to reach out to him, more than anything.

"It's alright, it'll all be over soon. You're not dying, Storm. I won't allow you to die" he whispered to me, a fierce possessiveness echoing through his voice. It made my paralysed body shudder involuntarily, but not in a bad way.

The sincerity in his voice gave me no other option but to believe him. But if I was dying, what was happening? Why was I in so much pain, all over my body, not just the place I got shot? Why am I not breathing?

"I know you have a lot of questions, but my time by your side is limited for now. I'll see you on the other side, beautiful. Stay strong for me"

His voiced echoed around me and faded away as another wave of pain struck. But this time, I felt stronger, the pain turning into a dull throbbing rather than a sharp stabbing.

I couldn't comprehend where my sudden fondness of Rico had come from, but I sure as hell wasn't about to give it up. Somehow, his presence had lessened my pain, and he had saved me from Cortez. Well, kind of.

I'd still gotten shot, but Rico was somehow saving my life. Maybe I'm in a hospital having the wound stitched up or something, that would explain the pain in my chest. But not the pain everywhere else, especially my head and back.

More pain washed over me, but it was a lot less painful then before. I have a feeling that the worst is over. But I have to stay strong.

Stay strong.

Stay strong.

Stay strong for Rico.
____________________________
What do you think is happening to Storm?

Also I'm sorry that it's so short, I'm revising for exams at the moment as well as trying to write chapters for you guys xx