Chapter 2

Ornelia:

"Mom," Ornelia called out, "I am going to go hang out with Emily."

Her exams were finally over, and she was a free bird, for a while at least. She was going to Emily's place, two blocks down. Jake was going to be there too.

They had been pretty tight throughout their university life. She met Emily and Jake on the first day at their university, but the two had been friends since kindergarten. Ornelia just happened to join them—and voila!—they became a trio.

She was extremely excited to see her friends after almost two weeks.

She made her way out of her room and ready to leave. She wore a simple white T-shirt and washed-out jeans.

Her wardrobe consisted of mostly plain, pastel‑colored T-shirts and a few black and blue leggings and jeans. Emily had given up on taking her to shopping trips as she often ended up picking the same kind of T-shirts.

"Okay, sweetie. When will you be back?" her mom queried.

Her mother never asked her such a question.

"By nine in the evening? Is there something you want me to do?"

"Oh no. I'll just ask your father to get some groceries on the way." Ana smiled at her daughter and continued her work in the kitchen.

"Where is Papa, anyway? He's been gone since morning."

Again, it was very strange. For her father to have left the house that early in the morning was quite odd.

"He had to go for a will reading," her mom informed her.

This only sparked her curiosity. "A will reading? Whose . . . ?"

She knew most of her father's co-workers and friends. Being the manager of the small finance firm, he had taken her and her mom to a lot of his office parties, which made Ornelia become acquainted with most of his friends. Her mother already knew many of them as she'd also worked with them before she had her.

"Just an old friend of your father's. He's not someone you know. Now go before you get late." Her mother ushered her out.

* * *

Ornelia arrived at Emily's place ten minutes later. Jake had already come.

Emily's parents were out of town for a few days, not that it mattered. They knew Ornelia and Jake like the back of their hand, and they seemed to have some tolerance toward their daughter when around them.

One time, it came to their knowledge that Emily had stolen their wine when they were away, to drink it with her two beloved friends. However, they were kind enough to just give Emily the benefit of the doubt, and since that day, no one had ever talked about the missing bottles of wine.

"What is this? Did the party already start without me?" asked Ornelia, having noticed the big bowl of popcorn, three flute glasses, and a bottle of wine already set out in front of the TV.

Jake was already sitting on the couch and looking for movies to watch.

"Not yet. Mr. Indecisive here can't make up his mind." Emily threw a small pillow at him.

Emily and Jake couldn't go a day without fighting—that was how their relationship was. They would fight like toddlers and then make up by calling truce or making stupid deals.

"I select with 'precision' and 'perfection' so that all of us can enjoy," reasoned out Jake. He then retaliated against Emily by pulling a strand of her hair when she went to sit beside him.

"Guys, can we stop fighting and just choose a movie? I have to be home by nine," Ornelia informed them.

"What? Why? I thought you were staying," Emily whined.

"You know how my parents are, about my spending the night anywhere other than home. They just worry a lot," Ornelia explained.

"Ugh, your parents are literally the sweetest people ever. I can't even argue with that." She threw some popcorn her way, still pouting.

Ornelia hugged her and ruffled her hair.

"Jake, can you drop me off?" requested Ornelia. "I don't think Papa can make it."

"Sure, why not? But you should realize that this is the first time you've asked me to do such for you. Have you finally fallen in love with me? Do you want me to give you a kiss on your porch ?" He wagged his eyebrows as a goofy smirk flickered on his face. His sneaky comment got him a smack on the head from Emily.

"Stupid bitch. Fuck him, Nella. I'll go drop you off if we get late," Emily spoke in a firm voice, punching Jake on his arm with every word she said.

"Ouch, that hurts, Emily. Fine, you go drop her off."

Jake gave up trying to select the best movie and ended up choosing Twilight.

"Ugh, it took him an hour to select with 'precision' and chooses Twilight. My punching is very valid, Nella. Anyway, where is your father?" Emily asked.

"I don't know. Mom said something about a will reading. I have no idea who has died, so I didn't pry a lot," Ornelia said .

Jake pretty much forced them to watch parts one and two of the film.

Somehow by the end of the movie, Emily was in the middle and Jake's head was already resting on her lap.

Ornelia's life was pretty much perfect—with her little family and friends and with the graduation ceremony coming up—she couldn't wait for what her future had in store for her.

She had a plan of action for her life, just like everyone. She wanted to graduate, obtain a master's degree, practice as a psychologist and then maybe get her doctorate.

She fervently hoped to follow through with this plan of action.