Chapter 3 - The Strange Messages of a Runner

We retreated from the madness sometime early the next morning, collapsing into our beds in exaustion. The morning came much too early for my liking and, despite my long night, I rose and put on my third and last shirt. Leof I left sleeping in the bed above mine, his hand hanging over the edge. I had to dig through his shelf, but I found a pile of Leof's clothes and took them along with a pile of my own, including my red vest and running breeches. I walked as quietly out of the dorm as I could, in order to not wake any disgruntled boys, and went on my way.

The sun had only just peeked above the horizon as I came into the city, splitting the dark sky with rays of gold and red. It was cold and my breath came in white clouds. It was a still felt like fall outside and I could hear the last of the birds chirping their farewells as colder weather began to setting it. A good morning to be alive.

The first place I went was the stream. It flows from the Sliding Mountains and down towards Anultic. Workers have diverted a portion of the Crashing River to create the water source for the city. The water is pure because of the Sliding Mountains lack of life. Nothing can contaminate the water because there is nothing there to contaminate it.

I approached the stream and knelt to take a few sips and then I began to meticulously to wash the pile of clothes. The water was icy and it turned my fingers pink, but it was also brought on a certain lucidity, but I made good use of my time. I laid out the washed clothing on the grass and let it dry while I began my workout routine. First stretches, then some simple exercises to keep myself fit. After that, I went through the Esicrexe which is a series of flowing movements that build the various muscles in one's body. When I finished with these, I was sweating, though the sun was only a bit higher now, and my clothes were damp. I changed into my now sufficiently dry running clothes and returned the rest of the clothes to the shelves in the dorms, pausing only to check to see that Leof was still fast asleep, and left again.

This time I remained in the Service and went up the stairs to the Postal. I found Bligg sitting behind his desk copying down notes of some sort. He seemed cheerful, though by my standards it was far too early even to smile.

"Good morning, Dheul. Your night was pleasant, I hope?" he asked as I entered.

"Very pleasant, sir."

"Of course it was. Always is when a woman is involved." He muttered this last piece, but I heard it and it turned my ears red. "I am afraid I did not participate in the events last night as much as I had wished. Work was to be done here. The Postal never sleeps, you know."

"Of course, sir." I waited to see if he had anything else to say and then, "Any messages for me this morning, sir?"

He started as if I had surprised him and said, "You are right, of course," he got up and began shifting through papers at the same time as talking to me. "I sent Harian out with a message late last night, nothing urgent and in a neighboring District, but then I had a message come in from. . .ah! Here it is." He pulled a slip of paper out and read it. "Lord Vice of Noon House to the Baron Quincy." He peered at me over the rims of his glasses. "Over on the east side of the Fields, you know?"

I nodded and he continued. "He would like Baron Quincy to be aware of the possibility of a breach in the treeline on his property. He complains that it's weakening and should be repaired or some such nonsense," he added, handing me the sheet so that I could read it for myself. I read the message three times to commit it to memory and gave it back.