The Dark Place - Chapter Fifty-Two (Part Two)

6

Cass sensed the spirit was quite close to her now and it was weak, almost finished. She also knew that was when she would be at her most dangerous; backed into a corner with nowhere to go but out. Cass had to play this right or Tamicka would be lost.

She floated through the fog and then came to a stop right at the edge of the spot where the dark place began. There was something she had to do before she evicted the malevolent Lady Constance Munford from Tamicka's body once and for all.

Annie and Jane had to be released before she could set about freeing Tamicka.

"I know what you are up to!" Lady Munford's voice had a renewed strength.

Cass took no notice and passed through to the darkness.

The voice followed. "I will not allow you to do this, do you hear?"

"Oh yes, I hear you all right, but I don't think there's anything you can do about it right now!" Cass hissed back.

"You are making a huge mistake you silly little fool." The voice was filled with anger now. "You underestimate the power I have... the danger you are putting yourself in!"

"You see, that's where you're wrong," retorted Cass as she looked back. "I think you're the one who's underestimating me!" There was nothing but a tiny pin prick of light which showed her how far through the dark place she had passed.

"Don't try my patience. You do not want to see my full anger!" The voice sounded much further off now, but at the same time no less intimidating.

"Well that's where you're wrong. This is exactly what I want to see!"

"You are really trying to test me now. Leave this instant or be trapped in this place forever!"

For a moment Cass thought she had heard real anger in that voice, it took a little while for her to realise that what she had actually heard was fear. The spirit of Lady Constance Munford was frightened. For the first time Cass was confident that she would win this battle.

"Did you hear me you damned fool?"

Cass paid no heed to the voice. She just drifted through the darkness in the direction of the two dim specks of light ahead of her.

"Annie... Jane... everything's alright now. She can't hold you here anymore, you're both free to leave."

There was no answer but Cass could feel the two of them close by. They were coming closer, moving fast. They went through her... past her... back toward the pin prick of light and the damning voice. Cass turned and followed the two silver trails.

"She has cheated us! She has tricked us! She will pay!" the two child-like voices said as one.

Within seconds Cass was surrounded by the fog again and in front of her hovered two small, silver balls of light.

"What are the two of you doing here?" boomed Lady Munford.

"You used us to trick that girl," came the echoing voice of a young girl.

"And then you drained our energy to meet your own evil ends," said the other.

"That is correct little spirits and there is not a single thing that you can do about it." Lady Constance laughed.

"Oh, but there is. We are doing it right now," said one of the young voices

"And just what is it that you think you are doing?"