CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

"This will work," Pacifica said. She gathered Enfri and Reyn from The Cod and Barrow and guided them towards the upper city. "There's risk, but if we play our cards right and have a little luck, then things could very well work out."

Enfri had her hood up as she struggled to keep up with Pacifica. Reyn's long legs had no problem maintaining this pace.

All around them, the goodfolk were milling about. They shuttered their windows and barred their doors. Over the shouts and cries, the alarm bells continued to sound. Ecclesia was gripped in a panic.

The First Legion was almost here.

"A wedding on such short notice isn't so easy a thing," Reyn pointed out. "Your brother must be summoned, and the city isn't safe for him. You will need a community headman, at the least, to officiate a royal wedding, and a witness from the Highest Court."

"We have Jin," Enfri offered, "and Ban will find a way to get Sasha here."

"Those are the least of the obstacles," Reyn continued. "My lady, you mustn't forget about Lord Rodrik. If the Karsts have the slightest suspicion of your intent, they will put their every resource to preventing it."

Out of the corner of her eye, Enfri saw that there were a pair of cats bounding along the side of the street. One had silver fur, the other was black with bright red markings. Deebee and Kimpo weren't letting Enfri out of their sight now that they were reunited.

Good, Enfri thought. I need to tell them about Elise the first chance I get. Deebee will be beside herself when she finds out Father has a sister.

"I know what stands in my way, Reyn," Pacifica said. "More than anyone, I know, but it's my best hope. If Ban and I are married, Prince Dashar won't recognize Rodrik as king. Lord Niklaus will be forced to either step down from power or defy the laws of succession in full view of the great houses. I doubt either he or Rodrik are prepared to do that."

"And the army at your gates?" Reyn asked pointedly. "They will arrive before nightfall. Time is a luxury you don't have."

"Kastus is making this possible," Pacifica argued. "The Karsts are occupied with the defense preparations. Their armsmen will be manning the battlements, and we can move unnoticed."

Enfri almost tripped as Deebee shot between her feet. She looked down at the cat in annoyance. Deebee's fur was standing on end as she looked at Enfri then towards the city walls.

What's she trying to tell me? Enfri wondered. She followed Deebee's gaze towards the gates. She couldn't see anything out of the ordinary.

Enfri slowed her pace to a stroll. Pacifica and Reyn pulled ahead, unaware that Enfri was falling behind.

Deebee pounced up to Enfri's shoulder once they were ahead. Kimpo scurried over and remained by Enfri's ankles.

"What is it?" Enfri whispered. "I need to stay with..."

"Hush, girl, and listen," Deebee interrupted. "This Altieri princess is making an error. She and Ban both."

"Of course they're not," Enfri argued. "Weren't you listening?"

Deebee shook her feline head. "This Pacifica is making assumptions. Look over there, love. Look at the walls."

Enfri turned towards them again. She still wasn't seeing what Deebee was trying to tell her. There was nobody there. The city gates were closed, and...

Winds and storms.

"There's nobody there," Enfri whispered in horror. "The armsmen... Nobody's defending the walls!"