Chapter 3

Chapter 3

“I don't know why you can sense me.  You are the only one.  It's true what he said about the wreck—no, NO.  Hold still, I mean it.” 

 From across the room, it sounded as if Jake was on the phone.  “Yeah.  It came as a shock, but he's okay now.  We will stay with him.”  

“You okay? Chris, here, drink this.”  Hunter pressed something into his hand, and reflexively, his fingers closed on the cool can. He was relieved to find it still sealed.  He didn't trust them, not after this--even with something as simple as a drink. 

“NOBODY can see me or hear me.”  Alaine again.  “Not even my own family.  Just you.  Do you think it's because.  You know.  The heightened senses you have?  From the blindness?” 

“For fusake!”  Losing it, he did whip around clamping a wrist bone.  “How far are you going to go with this?  Just stop already.” 

“He's going into shock, or denial, or something.”  Asher.  “Maybe we should call somebody.”

“See I TOLD you.  Do NOT acknowledge me when they are around.  They think you are mental.  Look I will prove it to you, okay? “ 

His hand shook so badly, he barely managed the aluminum tab on the drink, and he tilted the can to his dry lips uncaring what it was.  Beer.  He had the entire can sucked down in seconds. When Jake offered another, Chris asked for water instead.  For the time being, he was so furious and confused that he decided to ignore them. Even Alaine.  Hesitantly, he went for the chair, and instantly, one of them helped him navigate.  Shrugging off the assistance, he weakly sank down on the arm. 

A forceful rap on the door was followed by some conversing with the roadies, and he heard the cases began to roll out.  Still, no one ended this sick joke with a gleefully punch and cackle, as was the norm when they pranked one another. 

From somewhere over his head, Alaine spoke.“The tall guy, Jake is it? Was just on the phone with your mother telling her you will be okay.  You need to call her.  She won't lie to you, right?” 

She was right.  His mother would never go along with this. 

“Before you do though, just hold me.”  Arms twined around his neck, and the scent of her sank into every cell. Despite being infuriated and hurt, his hand settled on her leg.  More potent, her scent changed, and his suspicion that she was crying was confirmed with her hiccuped words.  “I wish you didn't have to know.  It's going to change everything.  I thought I could tell you, on my own time...” 

A chill seeped deep into his bones, although she felt warm against him.  Then and there, he knew.  Yet, at the very same time, the idea was ludicrous--not to mention unthinkable.  Painfully, his fingers gripped his Android, and with a press of a button, he spoke into it.  “Call mom. Home.”  Inside his rib cage, his heart was cracking, and each breath was labored as he waited.  As expected, the very first ring cut short. 

“Chris.  How are you sweetheart?  Honey, I am so sorry. I wish I was there with you right now...Are you going to be able to make it for the services?  Maybe you can stay a few days...I could make that macaroni you like so much...” 

Whatever he answered was not even processed in his brain.  Ending the call, he dropped his head to his hands, his elbows resting on his knees.  The can clattered to the floor, and maybe his phone had too.  His stomach rolled, and he held back a retch.  Was it even possible to feel this many emotions at once and yet be so hollow, empty, cold inside? 

“Lanie?  Lanie!”  

“He's flipping again...” 

“I'm here Chris.  I'm not going anywhere.  Nowhere to go.” 

Seeking some sanity within this strange stupor, he straightened from the chair when Hunter declared that it was time to hit the road. 

"Hey guys, my ipod?  Did I get it?"  This was one of the many inconveniences of no sight.  Any normal person could visually make a room sweep, ensuring that nothing was left behind. But he had to bother someone to do it for him.   

"I got it bro, no worries." Jake assured, and Chris hesitated as he heard everyone else moving away, yet also heard that Jake was waiting.  This was normal.  From the beginning of this dark nightmare, Jake had taken on the role of his keeper.  

Conflicted, he took a step, then paused, again reluctant to leave this room, yet leery of saying anything.  The guys already thought he was nuts.   

"I'm coming too.  If that's okay..." 

Nodding in relief at Lanie's voice, he embraced the surreal feeling, ignored the psycho feeling, and felt his way across the room.  Voices were just past the doorway. The guys were speaking with female fans, and yet again, he paused.  The sotto voices soon faded after loud goodbyes.  Relief.  He was in no mood for girls on the bus.   

"Race you to the bus."  Hunter exclaimed, but only reaped a chorus of disinterested groans in reply. 

"Dude I'm not racing anywhere. Especially to be cooped up in the damn bus."  Jake. 

Thankfully.  It would have not been easy to keep up with them in a dead run.  Shuffling along, he followed their voices as they moved out of the room, and down the long maze of hallways. 

"Hotel tomorrow night."  Once of them happily tossed out, and the conversation never lapsed.