Hardee's Story (One Night at The Pub Part 2)

Hardee's story 

The story about the time Angus left the pub in the hands of Hardee for a few weeks while he went on holidays, is still told by the regulars, and is usually good for at least one free drink. Mind you, he won't tell you the story himself. 

Hardee is one of those guys who just can't sit still. Always jumping from one great idea to another. Leaving the Pub in his hands was a bit risky but Angus had left him strict instructions about what he could and couldn't do. Everything went smoothly for the first week, then Hardee began to get restless. Everything was the same, the same people, the same conversations. 

He looked around at the regulars, to be honest some of them were getting a little dusty, and decided the place needed a younger crowd. No sooner had the idea popped into his head than he got a band in and before too long the tables were pushed aside and people were dancing, hopping and bopping along to the beat. The band was actually a duo, called Chris and Kane and they had a theme song which they sang at the beginning of every gig, to set the mood.  

"Welcome to my house, buckle up tight 

Everybody sings and drinks, laughs & gets high. 

It's a country music, a little soul, it's a rock 'n roll rodeo. 

We don't tolerate no sitting around 

Everybody's dancin', groovin' and getting on down. 

So before you come in here with some kind of attitude 

You better read the house rules." 

Hardee was beaming, watching the place liven up, the young people dancing and the money rolling in. I admit it was fun for a while, if you like that kind of thing. But of course, Angus doesn't like that kind of thing at all, Hardee should have known better. Angus was back for less than two minutes before he threw the band out, and their instruments after them, despite Hardee's protests and attempts to explain how they had been raking in the money. 

Angus slammed his fist, the metal one, down on the bar and glared at everyone. "Time for a rant!" he shouted. "This is a fucking Pub! Not a fucking nightclub or a dance hall or a karaoke bar! If you don't like it, go somewhere fucking else! And that's my fucking House Rules!"  

Hardee was a bit pissed off for awhile, after all it had been a really great idea, but he eventually got over it, besides there really wasn't anywhere else to go. He's back to being a regular at the bar, you can see him there most nights, with a bowl of lemon slices at his elbow. Don't ask why, if you do he'll just snigger and say you wouldn't understand.