Chapter 7

You can buy By the Sword's Edge at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, iBooks, and Smashwords. You can sign up for my newsletter, follow me on Twitter, or like my Facebook page. For more information, see marklord.info. Your support is appreciated. Thanks for reading!  

Chapter 7

Richard watched as Knolles spoke quietly to Eolande. What could an old soldier like Knolles, a veteran of a hundred battles be talking to a young gentle-woman with no more knowledge of war than shooting coneys?

Simon nudged him. "Jealous?"

Richard slapped him over the head, just clipping the boy's crown as he ducked.

Their father stepped over to them. He didn't look pleased. "If there's any discipline needed I'll administer it, Richard. You're too old to indulge in childish games."

Richard could hear Simon giggling behind him. He thought about batting the boy down again, but his father beat him to it. William Stone walked around Richard and loomed over the smaller boy. "As for you, it's not too late to cancel your scholarship at Cambridge. How would you like to learn to manage the estates instead?" The prospect of hard work cowed Simon into silence and sullenness.

William gathered his sons to him, touching them now more affectionately by the shoulders to draw them to him so that he could speak privily with them. "Knolles is a business acquaintance of mine, and I would see that he is treated well during his stay with us. But he also comes with another captain. It is nearly time for the feast to begin and I think he may need some assistance. He is lodged in the guest-house. Will you boys attend on him and escort him to the hall?"

Richard and Simon nodded. Although in his own mind Richard felt less than pleased about the task. It was just the sort of service he had to perform at Sir John's. If this captain was anything like Knolles, then he would surly and demanding into the bargain, with no graciousness to reward the boys for their assistance.

Richard and Simon walked through the hall past the servants as they brought in the bread trenchers that the food would be served into, cups and knives and spoons. Knolles had brought his own retinue with him and of these many were taking their seats in the hall or standing in small knots talking. None of them were at all like William Stone's men. They were not servants or farmers or grocers of carters or shipmen—his father's retinue was his network of production and trade that gave him his wealth, and he kept them close through frequent gatherings such as this to show his largesse to them. In return for that and their wages they worked hard for him and made him more money, so that he could put on ever more sumptuous feasts, buy more land, more ships, more carts and more warehouses and more cloth, wool, spices, and on and on.

William Stone's steward greeted them at the door to the hall. "Master Richard, young Master Simon, good day to you."

Richard nodded back, and as the elder of the two sons sought for some words to reply with beyond the good-day to you.

The steward filled gap. "How is your training at Sir John's?"

"Yes," said Richard, glad to have something to speak of. "I am learning a lot."

"And soon you will put it into use. Your father will be very proud of you." The steward patted Richard on the shoulder and proceeded on into the hall.

Simon looked up at Richard. "Going somewhere are you?"

Richard looked blankly at his brother. "No, I uh ... I don't know." The man must be confused or must mean just that he was growing up and the opportunity to use his new-learnt knightly skills would arise at some point. Richard felt troubled though. He wasn't ready yet. He didn't know enough.

End of Chapter 7

I will post one chapter each week, there are 14 chapters. If you just can't wait, you can buy the complete book at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, iBooks, and Smashwords.

You can sign up for my newsletter, follow me on Twitter, or like my Facebook page. For more information, see my website marklord.info. Your support is appreciated. Thanks for reading!