Nikolai - Chapter 3

[Author's Note: I'm sorry for lateness and genreal crappiness thought this me assuming that people were demanding to read it... which I doubt *cries* but here it is, hope you like it. Chapter four I will hopefully finish end of the week... or something like that.

P.S. This has not been proof read... which is bad but I will edit it if it really bugs anyone]

Chapter 3

Dreaming was a rarity for Nikolai. He could recall his last one, about half a century ago; he remembered the most greenest of grassy fields with pollen dancing through the hazy summer air and a blinding blue sky dotted with soft white clouds slothing around like content sheep. The sun was dazzling yellow.

He remembered that in this dream he stood still, statuesque, soaking in the glorious warmth on his skin, absorbing all the vitamins and minerals and joy.

He woke up in a start, gasping as if he had been drowning.

Nikolai didn't hate all aspects of vampirism, but he hated the sparse dreams that remained implanted in his brain as deadly reminders that only humans could forget their nightmares.

He dreamt again that night, of his brother, of Roe. He saw Aleksander, his eyes smiling sinisterly, nose nuzzling her neck. She had elongated it, stretched towards the other side so that it was readily available, and he bit.

Fire engulfed them, they laughed together, in blackness.

He woke up slowly, eyes heavy. Roe was naked on the hard floor next to him; body sprawled delicately, sensual. He looked at her pursed lips, her softly shut eyes, her tired fingers which moved in echoes to her dreams.

Rested his chin on his knee... sighed. What had happened?

*

Nikolai left Roe, to fill up on alcohol. Cloud his mind for a few brief seconds. Then he felt it.

Approximately eleven twenty three, he felt an emptiness; like a child who's dog had died.

He returned back to where they had slept the last night, his incredibly minimalist, two floor flat.

Her scent felt old and dead... she wasn't there.

His blood filled heart pumped heavily against his ribcage.

Aleksander.

Nikolai reached his extravagant manor, with its golden gates, fields of garden, marble floors, in a matter of seconds. Adrenaline was nowhere near the strength of what fuelled him.

He could smell her.

Clasping his hands around the bars, he ripped them from their roots, swung them behind him uncaringly.

Shadows slinked into view. Darted towards him in deadly unison. Black snakes of night.

He ran straight for one, grabbed it with his hands, ripped its neck out. Another attempted pouncing him, he shot his hand through its chest ripped its heart out.

The other hesitated. He growled provocatively. He wanted blood, blood, blood.

It took two meaningful steps. Blinked, Nikolai was before him, looking intently down at him. His body was elsewhere, his head in the vengeful lover's hands.

"Why do you underestimate me, brother?" Nikolai bellowed, violence and cruelty on his tongue.

Roe. He thought. He could feel her, smell her, taste her.

"What are you doing Nik?" Her voice flat and motionless. Always the same after a massacre.

"He took you," Nikolai felt like a helpless child. Confused by her question, and his blood which jumped fanatically at her presence.

"He didn't take me, the Assistants ordered me to attend a meeting," She replied, softly, coldly. He looked at her. She looked tired, hungry and beautiful. Her big, brown eyes drawn to the black ground, stained with unseen blood, her lips pursed, fingers still.

"We should go," Nikolai said plainly, fighting the urge to pick her up and leave.

"I don't work for you any more, Nikolai, you'll be assigned a new assistant," She replied equally as plain, yet there was a force. "We have already broken one of the most fundamental rules, it is unethical to think we could work together again."

"When has anything a vampire done been ethical?" He cursed, his anger rising ten fold.

She stepped towards him deliberately, closing the distance he hadn't noticed between them. Each step was purposeful and slow. He made no inclination to move.

When they were only separated by a fine line of air, she cupped his cheek, tip toed, and brushed her lips against his.

He didn't move, didn't flinch, didn’t pull her in for a deeper kiss. He stood there shaking.

She turned and Cain was waiting. He bowed his head, brushed his eyes across the bodies, and took her inside.

*

Nikolai didn't return to his cold home. He went straight towards the Assistant's base.

It was an old building, Georgian, with a large door. He knocked, then the buzzer sounded next to him, a voice streaming out of it; "How can we help you Nikolai?"

He hesitated... untrusting of this technology.

"Nikolai, how can we help you?" It repeated, irate.

"I need some information," He said towards the little white box, puzzled by its buttons and its holes.

There was what seemed like a long pause. When the voice returned, "You have to press the first button whilst speaking," humour edged its voice.

Nikolai complied and repeated what he said.

"What kind of information do you require?" The voice asked suspiciously.

"May we discuss this under the safety of your roof?" He both answered and asked.

There was a much longer pause.

"You may enter," There was a longer buzz and the door squeaked.

*