Why People Vote

In the last section, I talked about getting reads and how no one ever votes. I started a conversation in the Cafe asking why people do and don't vote. You can try and use it to figure out how to maximize voters or just read it to know what's going on in people's heads. If you have a reason not listed, comment it and I'll add it. Here are the results.

-Lumi-  I vote to keep track of which parts I already read and which parts I didn't. I tend to lose my place in books easily, so voting is a good way to bookmark my location.

Aiyoku-Chan  I vote because I enjoy or like what I'm reading 

The_Rugbywoman   I vote because I enjoy what I'm reading, and because it's well written. Also, as a writer, I know how nice it feels to receive notifications saying someone voted for your story, and it really encourages me to continue writing so I pass it on :)

Cheadarcheese   I vote to tell the author that the chapter was good enough I could finish reading. If it was better than that or I had something to say. If I really didn't like it or didn't finish then I won't vote.

Wiserthanthou    I vote to help people out! And I'm of the mind to treat people the way I want to be treated and I would really like votes, haha. And I do it when I really like something. I don't usually vote only to be nice, I have to like what I read. 

Xenoclea  When I start reading a story, I first vote when I read something I really like. If a character is just amazing, I vote. If I think the plot is interesting, that author is getting a little orange star. If a certain sentence or even phrase blows me away, I'm slamming that vote button. I usually read up to the third chapter of "new" stories, and if I haven't voted so far, I probably won't keep reading. But if I think they did a good job, I try to let them know with a vote and/or a comment! Feedback is sooo important on this site :)

With stories/authors that I already read, I'm usually sure the quality is pretty high, and I vote to help me keep track of were I am in their story (especially if they do a lot of editing where parts go up and down as they edit (*cough cough* narrator *cough cough*) and let the author know that I'm enjoying their work!

Alicia19M  I vote because the story is good. That's it. Otherwise, I don't vote if you're forcing me to (vote for vote, etc.) because that is just unfair and stupid. And I don't vote if the story is bad. Because why would I if it sucks? 

--anomalyst I don't vote because I'm lazy. And I'm too hooked to the story to pause.

I vote as to show support, or because I really, really liked that part.

_Nuifi  I haven't voted in a while because I haven't read anything I have enjoyed lately (Not bad writing, just picky when it comes to characters), but when I feel like someone really put their heart and soul into a work, I vote for it. But I'm not really into any stories right now.

thecelestialangel  I vote if I enjoy a story chapter. If there are no votes and the story is pretty good, if I feel bad when they have zero votes, if you are a friend, and when I want to keep track of chapter. :D

ScaryScarecrows Because I like it, and because I'm sometimes too lazy (or unable) to comment at the time. Also, as a bookmark.

OurOppas   I vote so a good author will gain confidence the more votes I think the more that author will write. It is important to give much love to writings so authors will keep making more chapters

Kiera_Rose915  It's my way of telling the author that I really liked that particular chapter. I do comment every once in awhile, but not very often. So voting for me works as praise. Don't ask why I don't comment much. I don't know.

probably-somebody

1. Because I liked the chapter

2. To let the author know who's reading. It's all well and good to look at a story's demographics, or to keep track of who's putting things in their reading lists, but I personally like connecting with actual readers.

Nicetahoo I often forget to vote, because I'm just too deep in the story. And if I vote, then it's because I like the chapter or it made me laugh or smile or it's just really good

Sorglegt If i think the work has potential then i'd vote....... 

AlexandraMcKee I vote out of habit. Except when the story is horrible or I don't want anyone to know I'm reading it.

dandelyons I'lI usually vote because I really like the chapter. Like there are some chapters that I do like, but I have to really like it to get a vote. other than that, I just keep reading. Also sometimes I'm just too into the book to vote & when I realize that, I end up voting in all the chapters. Other than that, I don't necessarily vote.