CHAPTER 6

Anna woke with a start. Sitting up quickly, her eyes scanned her dark bedroom, confused. The last thing she remembered was falling asleep beside Liam in the garden behind the pack house. A glance at the alarm clock told her that it was only one in the morning.

Leaving her room, Anna slipped out of the house and made her way to the spot where she had fallen asleep earlier. Lying on her back, she stared up at the sky, smiling faintly as she looked at the stars. Anna's mind turned to Liam. It was getting hard for her to hide what she felt for him.

He hadn't found his mate yet, but Anna promised that she would just stay friends and that's it. She would not be the cause of another she-wolf's heartbreak. Besides, she knew that she would die not to long after her wolf did.

The soft sound of the glass door sliding open and then shut sounded loud in the silent night air. Anna listened as someone walked towards her slowly as if they thought she was sleeping. The sudden shift in the slight breeze told Anna that it was Liam headed her way. Waiting until he was just a few feet behind her, Anna spoke softly.

"Take a seat Liam." He chuckled softly but sat in the grass beside her. "I just can't slip up on you can I?" Anna smiled, but it quickly died. "Not yet, but one day you might be able to." Both of them knew what she was referring to, but they stayed silent.

Liam lay down beside Anna, his head almost touching her shoulder. "Almost two years ago, I was with Anthony as he made rounds in Europe. We were visiting a pack in Scotland when I first saw her. The moment our eyes met, I was in love."

"She was your mate?"

"Yeah... She was the second daughter of the Beta, so when Anthony and I left, she came with us. We spent the next six months traveling from pack to pack, and I couldn't have been happier. But things changed in Russia.

"It was our last pack before we returned home. The son of the alpha saw her and fell in love with her as well. His mate had rejected him because he had murdered her family. Anyway, the mutt waited until Anthony, I, and his father was in a meeting with a few other alphas from the region. He kidnapped my mate and ran into the mountains.

"I tracked him down, but it was too late for Jennifer. The mutt raped and tortured her. By the time I found them, she was barely alive. I ripped the mutt's head from his body and carried my mate back to the house. She died in my arms on the way back.

"I never thought that I would ever feel whole again, or be able to love anyone as I loved her. Then you showed up. I found myself drawn to you." Liam fell silent, trying to find the right words to say. Anna didn't speak, sensing that Liam was just gathering his thoughts.

"Your uncle spoke with me yesterday after you fell asleep. He told me of a way that might save you and your wolf, but I'll only do it if you want me to Anna. Just know that I love you with my whole heart. You have given me a reason to smile again, and I would go to the ends of the earth with you if that's what you desire."

"What did he say," Anna asked softly. She didn't take her eyes from the stars above her. "He said that the only way that he found that could save you both, would be for another to mark you, to claim you as theirs." Anna sat up quickly, looking at Liam, surprised.

"I couldn't do that Liam. I couldn't take away someone else's happiness just so that I could live." Liam gave her a tender smile. "I know that sweetheart, that's why your uncle suggested that a wolf who had lost his mate claim you. If you want to, that is."

"He already has someone picked out doesn't he?" Liam nodded slowly, not sure how she would take the news. "Would you let me claim you Anna, to mark you as mine?" Liam's voice was soft, but Anna still heard. Her eyes met his and she blushed.

The look in his eyes mirrored how she truly felt about this man. "I love you Anna and I would be the happiest wolf alive if you allow me to mark you." Tears burned her eyes, but she willed them away. A smile bloomed on Anna's lips as she nodded her head. "I would be proud to be yours Liam." Her reply was like an echo of a breeze, but Liam heard. His heart soared as his wolf howled in joy.

Leaning closer to her, he placed a sweet, tender kiss on her lips. Anna kissed him back softly before turning her head, giving Liam access to her neck. He placed a kiss over the faint scars of where Thaddeus had once marked her and Anna shivered. Liam's teeth brushed against her skin and Anna held her breath as they pierced her shoulder.

She could feel her wolf stirring for the first time in what seemed like forever in the back of her mind. She smiled again as Liam pulled away. Anna's fingers softly brushed over the new mark as her eyes met Liam's. As her eyes started to flutter shut, Liam stood and gently scooped her into his arms.

Anna laid her head against his shoulder as he started to slowly walk back towards the house. "I love you Liam," Anna whispered just before sleep took her. She didn't see the smile that consumed Liam's face when he caught those words slipping from her lips. And she didn't feel the soft kiss that he placed on her forehead as well. Liam carried her up the stairs to her room and laid her on the bed.

Covering her with a light blanket, he laid down beside her, pulling her closer to him. With a happy sigh, he closed his eyes and joined her in dreamland. He prayed to Juna that the king had been right and marking Anna would be enough for her and her wolf to survive. If he lost her as well, it would be too much for him to take.