A Fate Foretold 10

Christian and Tim walked quickly to the living room, where the stranger was calmly waiting. Some pack members had already gathered to assess the man and offer backup if needed. The others were on their way.

            At first glance the stranger did not appear threatening. He was well-dressed and well-groomed, with a casual stance that suggested he meant no harm. However, he did exude authority, too much authority for an average passerby. 

            “I am Future Alpha Christian Sullivan,” Christian announced, stepping forward. “What is your business here?”

            The man smiled indulgently, as if he thought their theatrics were inappropriate. “I pose no threat to your pack, Future Alpha, I am merely a stray traveler.”

            Ally, seeing what the commotion was all about, came into the room and stopped dead in her tracks. Her heart pounded at the sight of the man standing there, whose eyes flickered over to her, giving her no exit possibility.

            “Holy mother of God,” he breathed at seeing Ally. Christian bristled, thinking the traveler was merely impressed by his nat amatra’s beauty. “What are you doing here?”

            Ally swallowed to regain moisture in her mouth and quickly composed herself. “Hey, long time no see,” she managed in an almost nonchalant tone.

            “You know each other?” Christian demanded. The other pack members looked at the traveler with increased interest. Any information about Ally was welcome, as she seemed to take the duty of a nat amatra to not reveal their past much too literally.

            “He’s a friend,” Ally answered, in the same instant as the traveler said, “I’m her brother.”

            Ally glared at him. “You’re my friend, Ralph. Long before you qualify as my stepbrother.”

            Ralph threw back his head and laughed. “A high compliment, coming from you, A.” He quickly donned a more serious expression. “We need to chat.”

            The question Ally had for him couldn’t wait for them to extricate themselves from the rest of the pack. Depending on the answer, the information she might let slip to the pack might be moot, if she had to run.

            “Were you sent here?” She demanded as calmly as possible.

            Ralph frowned at her, before turning to the others, and saying, “No. I am on a year long trip around the world. By myself,” he added for Ally’s benefit. “I would appreciate being allowed to rest here for a time. I depend greatly on the charity of strangers.”

            His warm smile and honest handsome face would have been enough to endear him to the pack, but after hearing of his relation of Ally, he was guaranteed hospitality.

            Ally’s eyes didn’t leave his face as Christian offered their hospitality to this strange man. She supposed Ralpheus Bubant wasn't the worst person to have found her, at least it wasn't Leonard Bubant, but that didn’t mean that this wasn’t a disastrous development. It could perhaps be saved, but it was imperative that Ralph’s identity wasn’t disclosed.

            Headquarters buzzed with excitement at this break to their routine, as Ally excused herself and her stepbrother to her room where they could talk uninterrupted without being overheard.

            “Alright, what’s going on? Ally, is it?” Ralph demanded, as soon as they were alone.

            “What ever could you mean?” Ally asked drily.