Twelve

When I wake up, my door is still locked, so I guess Gran Rey hasn't gotten up yet to unlock it. This actually makes me smile. It means I get to read until breakfast. There's no clock in my room, but there's one in his office. Once he unlocks my door, I can check the time.

Day four. I've been alive for four days. This reminds me that I didn't write in my diary yesterday. I quickly scribble down what happened. Two messy paragraphs cover the front of the page, but I just shrug and lay back on my bed to read.

***

I almost didn't hear the click of the lock. I quickly glance at my page number, 418, and jump up. I open the door quickly and catch Gran Rey walking to his desk. He turns around with a surprised expression. He probably didn't expect me to pop out of my room so quickly.

"What time is it?" I ask.

He checks the clock on his desk. "Seven-fifteen."

"And breakfast is at seven-thirty?"

"Yes. That's when it's supposed to be ready."

"Okay, thanks." I rush back into my room, smiling at his confused expression. I lay back down on my bed and lift the book to a few inches from my face.

Eventually, I hear a knock on my door. Is that the first time he's knocked on my door? It's the first time he's actually come into my room without me screaming my head off, I remind myself. "Come in," I call.

He opens the door. "It's seven-thirty in case you wanted to know."

"Oh. Thanks." I check the page number again. 430. I set the book down reluctantly and stand up.

"Have you reached page four-eighty yet?"

"No. Fifty more pages to go. I need to get dressed so if you could..." I make a shooing motion with my hands.

He rolls his eyes and walks out.

I quickly change into shorts and another oversized T-shirt. This one is black with the words "Snowflake Sunset" in neon green lettering. For the first time, I wonder whose clothes I'm wearing. With a cold feeling in my stomach, I realize this could have been Tony's room. Gran Rey's friend that owned the book and died could have slept in that room. The thought makes me shiver.

I walk outside. Gran Rey isn't here, so he probably went downstairs already. I walk out of his office and almost run into girl. She's tall and blond, with a narrowly-shaped face. Her eyes are brown. We stare at each other for a second.

"You're Elien," she observes. I can't read her expression.

"Yeah. And you're...?" I shut the door behind me.

"Carey. I manage our resources. Has anyone mentioned me?"

"Yeah."

"Good. Did they also tell you I advised Gran Rey to get rid of you?" Her expression is still unreadable.

Hostile. I brace myself for a fight, but try not to let it show. "No."

"Well that's what I did. And I still don't trust you." She looks down at me, practically giving me a condescending glare, before continuing her walk to the stairs.
"Sorry," I say halfheartedly. I follow her at a distance. Maybe she doesn't want to kill me, but she would definitely be on the side of "getting rid of me." I guess I'll have to prove myself to her eventually.