❁Prologue❁

I lied peacefully in bed until I felt a cold feeling upon me.

I sat up in annoyance and took off my cold wet sheets.

"Wake up, sleepy-head" she said to me with a cup in her hand.

"Mommy! I don't wanna go! I don't wanna go!" I said crying.

"Sweety, don't be sad. The teachers will take care of you. It's just school. Nothing bad will happen" my mother said while hugging me.

I pouted and got dressed. I put on my sparkly twinkle toe sketchers, my hot pink jeans, and my purple short sleeve shirt with Dora on it.

"It's breakfast time, Jean!" Mom said.

"Coming Mama!" I said while running to the kitchen. I sat down. She made pancakes with a smiley-face on it. It tasted sweet. There was bacon on the side, with some orange juice in my sippy cup.

Max threw his food at me.

"Stop it! Stop it! I will tell Mama!" I yelled it him.

Little two - year old Max started to cry. "I'm sorry Max! I didn't mean to hurt your feelings!" I said to Max.

Mom ran to the kitchen. "Maxwell, you okay hun?" She asked him. "Mama, Jean yelled at me!" he assured mom.

"Say sorry, Jean."

"I did, mommy" I responded.

Mom gave me the death stare. I sighed. "...I am sorry, Maxy" I said, faking a smile.

"It okay, Jean" he said.

I was done with the breakfast. Mom put the jacket on Max and I and we headed out the door. Mom was buckling me up into the car seat but then she saw something on my space.

"Jean, you have some syrup on your face. Lemme get it" Mom said while licking her thumb and trying to get it off. "Ew, no!" I said while pushing her hand away. She pushed my hand away and took the syrup off.

She put Max into his car seat and then started driving to my Pre-k, calling Teaching Our Youth Academy. It costed $250 a month because it was a very good school for the advanced. I even had to take a test to get in.

"Mommy?" I called.
"Yes, sweetie?" She replied.
"How can you afford all of this money?" I asked.
"Well, um... I never told you this before, but I was royalty. But, I wanted to be normal so I quit" mom said.

I was shocked. "Is that true, mama?"
"No, Jean. I'm joking. I just....... um.... I inherited it.... from.... your great-grandmother, which is my grandmother" she assured me.
"Oh, well that's great too!" I said.

We arrived at my preschool. It was 7:57 AM. Two more minutes until class started. Mom kissed me goodbye and I went to class.

I had 25 other classmates. I met my 3 best friends there. Amara, a girl who was literally the smartest student in the whole school. She has brown skin and an afro. I met Yuki, who was from Japan and had dark hair and is really pale. She is so funny and silly. She's not more on the average side of smarts. I also met Zack. He is really fashionable. He has red hair, freckles, and hazel eyes. He didn't mind only having friends who were girls. He fits in more with them anyway.

{~TIME SKIP~}
"Class PK-105, it's art time!" Miss Jackson said.

We all got painting easels and painted.

"The theme is to paint an experience that has ever happened to you that has either made you happy or something that changed you as a person" Miss Jackson said.

I took the colors black, blue, gray, white, and yellow. "What should I paint?" I thought to myself.

Suddenly I felt a lightbulb over my head. I had an idea.

I drew a girl crying in a corner. She had blonde hair, but in this case it was yellow. Her father was outside. She felt abandoned and cried that she wasn't there for her.

It was a pretty eerie picture for a 4 - year old to draw. It looks like it was drawn by a 4th grader. The colors were dark and sad.

"Time's up! Present your drawings" Miss Jackson said.

She called on a boy named Malik. He was tan and had black hair.

"Uh, this is my drawing. It's a picture of me holding my baby sister, Aalia. Changed my life 'cause I will have to protect her when she gets older" he said.

The class was clapping.

"Very good, Malik!" the teacher said.

Next, she called on me.

"Um... this is my drawing. There is a girl in the corner crying because she feels abandonned. Her daddy isn't there for her" I said.

There was awkward silence. The only one clapping was a boy named Damien. He had dark brown hair, pale skin, and his left eye was blue, and his right eye was green and he had a tooth gap.

Everyone starred.

"Umm... great drawing, Jean. You draw very well. But, it's very depressing. Is there any meaning behind it?" Miss Jackson asked.

"Well, I don't have a daddy. I am the girl in the corner. But my daddy isn't outside. He just left me when I was too young to remember. It's sad when Father's day comes around. I have no one to celebrate it with" I responded.

"I'm so sorry, Jean. But, you can draw so much better than that. Draw something cute, with a lot of bright colors" she said.

"I like dark colors" I said.

"Ok... but you have potential" she said.

"Miss Jackson?" I asked
"Yes?"
"Miss Jackson?" I asked.
"Yes?"
"Miss Jackson?"
"YES???" she asked annoyed.
"Are you nasty?" I asked her.

"....No. Why are you asking?" She asked me.
"Because you are critical" I responded.

I was put in the corner while all the other kids played. Damien was looking at me. I wonder what he was thinking.