Chapter 1: Tedious Routines

Euphemia woke up at 3:30 a.m. Even though she only slept for about five hours and spent half the night bounty hunting, she felt rather well rested. She went over to her personal lavatory to wash her face. She looked at herself in the mirror. With scarlet eyes, blonde hair at knee-length and elfin ears, she hardly looks normal. Even some of her classmates were still afraid of her even after two years.

          While taking a bath, Euphemia recalled last night’s events. She was glad that she took her victim’s pouch. Its contents were bigger than the reward money that she could’ve received.

          Exiting her room, she was wearing a sleeves, maroon turtleneck beneath a black steam punk-like corset and a black, pleated skirt just a few inches above her knee. Drying her hair with a towel, Euphemia walked through the corridor barefoot.

          Running down the stairs, she took an apple and a cluster of grapes from the wooden dining table and went to her laboratory; not even bothering to cook a proper breakfast.

          Upon entering the room, she automatically took her leather satchel from one of the multiple wooden tables; several glass vials and flasks from the shelves, and different potions of various colours in glass containers. She poured the potions into their specific glassware. After that, she sealed the vials tightly with a cork. She then carefully placed them into the satchel along with the fruits.

          Before exiting the room, Euphemia put on her black, leather boots that were up to her thighs, fingerless leather gloves that were up to the crook of her arm, buckled her leather belt with a small bag strapped to it containing extra vials, and fastened a small, leather bag containing a first aid kit which was attached to a leather strap onto her left thigh.

          She looked at the mirror and brushed her hair into a ponytail and secured it with a thick, black band; then hung the strap on her right shoulder and let the satchel dangle at her left side.

          Euphemia locked the doors and opened a portal leading to Karsan.

                                                          #######

          Even though it’s four in the morning, the town square was already busy. Vendors opened their shops and merchants set up their stalls. Carriages began to stroll the streets and soon the place proceeded with it daily routine and the streets became crowded.

          Euphemia got irritated since the roads were blocked and this may cause delay to her deliveries. Humans, she scoffed and went into an empty alley to use an easier way.

          Leaping from roof to roof, she showed obvious grace and ease.

          About an hour and a half later, she was already finished with her deliveries. Traipsing, she received glares and dirty looks from merchants who were also selling potions. But of course, who wouldn’t? Their economy has plummeted down since she started selling and delivering potions to her customers and since her potions are more effective and convenient.

          Even big companies closed down because of her. However, it is humiliating to be out of business because of a 16-year-old orphan elf. Grinning at the thought, she opened another portal that would teleport her home.

                                                          ########

          Looking at the clock, Euphemia sighed. It was 5:45 a.m. which means she still has about one hour and fifteen minutes left before the meeting starts. She changed into her uniform. She wore a red, spaghetti strap top underneath a black coat whose sleeves were folded up to the crook of her arms; black pants with numerous pockets; black leather gloves; and combat boots.