Suddenly Blinded - Chapter 5

Friday rolled around quickly, in fact it was the quickest week that had gone by since my accident. But you couldn’t really say it was eventful. Turned out my doctor had gotten sick (I know what you’re thinking for that one) so he had to cancel Tuesday’s appointment. But for some reason I hadn’t told Josh that.

Friday’s were probably the worst day of the week when it came to school, simply because you had to sit in the auditorium for half an hour whilst assembly was on. There was an air of excitement though, but I put that down to the fact it was ‘dress-up’ day in Dayna’s calendar and the school’s dress restrictions no longer applied. Students were also getting away with using their phones because it was part of their ‘costumes’. It is unbelievable what teachers will believe.

“Are we going to take a seat any time soon?” I asked Josh because I was irritated. Josh had decided to give Tim the half an hour off but it was probably the time we could have used him the most. I found myself standing squished up against the aisle wall whilst Josh waited for other people to take their seats. We had been in the room for less than two minutes and I had been pushed over twice! I didn’t see why we couldn’t just take our seats already.

“No we are going to stand here for the whole assembly.” Josh said dead serious. I prayed that he was just pulling my leg. Just as he said that another student barged by me and I fell over again, this time full on sprawled on the floor. I heard people gasp as they saw the scene unfold. I was grateful that people had stopped walking down the aisle.

The first thing I did was make sure my glasses were still on, the second was to reach out for the seats in front of me instead of reaching back for Josh like I probably should have done. No one seemed to move or utter a single breath as I used the seat’s handle (imagine move theatre chair) and pulled myself into the chair. Even after I was seated, no one seemed to move for quite a few long seconds, but once people did start moving, things went back to normal.

“I told you I needed to sit down, people are barging past me in the aisle, it was only a matter of time.” I said when I felt the presence of Josh in the chair to my left. I knew it was him because of his deep breathing and the way his arm brushed mine slightly –no one else in the school was even willing to touch me with a forty foot pole.

“I’m so sorry; you know I was only joking before right? I was actually just about to lead you to your seat because the trickle of students was actually stopping and I could safely get you into your seat. I feel really bad now that I didn’t do it sooner.” He did actually sound quite sincere but I was still upset that I had been so humiliated in front of the whole entire school.

“You know you’ve never told me what you are dressed up as today,” I said trying to change the course of the conversation.

“I am dressed as Larry Mullen Jr. He is the drummer from U2. All I have to wear is a really old t-shirt and a pair of jeans, plus carry my drumsticks with me all day. Perfect really. What about you, it’s an interesting outfit you have there.”

“I’m not really dressed up as anyone in particular just think of a random gothic character and here I am!” I had chosen to go as a Goth (a hot one at that) because Goth’s were normally social outcasts and so was I. I had on a very nice dark purple dress that billowed out after it got to the waist and black flats. I had this perfect thick chocker necklace that fit right in as well. I also had the option for retractable fangs but I left those at home.

“Well it looks like that dress belongs at a prom, and that you shouldn’t have been crawling around on the ground in it.” It was true the dress did belong at a prom, my cousin had used it and gave it to me in hopes I too would wear it – never was that going to happen.

“I didn’t really have a choice.” I snapped back, but somehow I was light-hearted about it, like I had completely forgotten our previous argument. If I had been my original self, I would never have forgiven someone so easily, if I had forgiven them at all.

“Students can I have your attention please.” And so with Principal Kline’s voice breaking through the chatter of the students the long, boring assembly began.

About fifteen minutes into assembly whilst a special guest was talking about teenage use of drugs and alcohol, Josh placed his hand in mine. It was an odd gesture and at first I thought he just wanted to hold my hand that is until he motioned for me to get up and head to the aisle again.

“Josh we can’t just leave in the middle of an assembly.” I hissed angrily trying to force him down into his seat by using the force of our hands.

“We aren’t leaving, we need to find Dayna.” He said grabbing me by the waist and forcing me into the aisle. I felt like all eyes were on us as he gently led me forward and down the handicap ramp.

“And Dayna can’t wait until afterwards?” I hissed again.

“No.” There was a round of applause and I figured that the special guest had finished speaking.

“And now, to introduce our next topic I introduce Dayna Hayes.” Principal Kline’s voice sounded again.

“Well too bad it will have to because Dayna is about to give a presentation.” I said and tried to dig my heels into the ground so I wouldn’t be able to move any further.

“Are you actually blonde?” Josh chuckled under his breath. “The presentation is about you. You have been aware of what’s been happening all week? The fundraiser.”

“No, there is no way I am being the centre of attention at assembly!” I practically cried.

“Look, before you had the accident you would have killed to be the centre of attention; would you please be that girl again, just for this one moment.” He pushed me forward again whilst I was thinking it over. It was pretty amazing actually that I could just drop my personality and the drop of a hat.

“I am pleased to announce that with the generous donation of all of you, teachers as well, we have raised over $10,000 for this cause. To tell you the truth that is a pretty amazing figure and I, on behalf of the student council have spent that money on a few useful things that can help our fellow student, Cassie Howells. The first set of items we have bought her are two canes; one of them being retractable. The second item we have bought her is a new laptop with a detachable Focus 40 BLUE Braille Display; for when she learns braille. Which is the third item, we have gotten some details of places where they can teach her to how to adjust to life being blind, complete with braille lessons. The computer also includes a software called JAWS which reads out what Cassie types as she types it. Finally, my personal favourite item –which did not cost-, we have arranged to get Cassie a guide dog. Although, considering that the end of the school year is literally right around the bend, she may not be able to get the guide dog before the end of the school year, however, she can undergo all the prior testing etc. if that is what she chooses. I now call upon Cassie to come forth and claim her gifts.” Dayna talked like a professional speaker, and she made me cry because she was just so darn nice.

Josh helped me forward, and I thanked heavens they had not chosen to hold the assembly on the stage for once. “Thank you Dayna,” I said through tears as she grabbed my hand.

“I will explain more later, like all the guide dog stuff, it is really quite confusing, but I’ll help you fill in the application and everything.” Dayna said quietly, and took my arm away from Josh’s. “Josh is going to carry all the stuff, there are a few boxes there, but I think he can manage. I have the canes over my other arm.”

“Dayna, you are too kind for your own good, you know that right?” I asked, having to talk louder over the round of applause that was going on behind us.

“I know that.” She laughed.

___________________________________________________________________________

A/N: I kept this short because I want the next chapter to be rather special and hopefully long. I am really sorry if I got some of the details wrong in regards to canes or the braille keyboards; this apology will go for the rest of the book. I am not blind, but I am trying to do a lot of research. I was going to have the guide dog rather soon, but I on all the guide dog schools they are boarding for around a month and I think she might fail if she doesn't attend school for that long. :/ Anyway please vote and comment and if you know any information about what it is like to be blind or if you want to correct anything I mention, feel free to PM me!