Open Sea

Chapter One:

"I'll steal Gloria City's most beautiful flower at dusk."

The Black Crows

That was the message sent this morning to Gloria City.

I was woken up at dawn with the newspaper in my face. My sandy eyes hardly got a chance to open before I was dragged into the bathroom and told to get dressed.

"Why?" I groan as I started to change into some clothing I was given. As I did the answer I got back was, "Just hurry up, Rose!" I mumbled incoherent words to myself about my father and washed up.

I gave a large yawn heading down the stairs to the kitchen. No breakfast. This wasn't a good day, I told myself.

I followed the noisy rushes of my father into the greenhouse. I gave him a questionable look and asked once more, "What is going on, father?" He looked at me with anger, but I knew he was not angry at me. He set down a cart of flowers and showed me the newspaper that was previously thrown at me before.

I took it from him and looked at the front cover of the daily news. I read the message about the pirates and gave it back to him.

"So?" I was sorry to disappoint the city and my father, but I wasn't devoted to the flowers as they were. I mean I knew it was very important to them and all and flowers are beautiful, but they were just flowers to me. They were important to me, yes, but just not that special enough for me to act like them.

I was more devoted to the sea, ocean, and water. I loved swimming. Feeling the salty water brush against my face was relaxation to me.

My brother was like that too. He loved the water as much as I did, or possibly more. My parents never understood why we loved water more than flowers or why my brother left. They said what's to love about a giant puddle of water compare to beautiful flowers that come in different size and colors.

I guess my brother was able to see what was special about the water and left us three years ago. He never told us where he was going, but just left a note on the kitchen table one morning with all his belongings gone. The note had said:

"I'm going to enjoy the sea as much as my heart has to desire. Please don't worry."

E.

That was the last we heard of him. My parents tried to believe that he was going to be alright, but soon the months passed and no news from my brother. Before you knew it, my parents treated as if my older brother had died on that day.

Some nights I could hear them talking about how he might of commit suicide to become one with the sea, but I knew my older brother was smarter than that. I just hope he come home one day.

My father looked at me as if I was crazy when I spoke with no care about the note. Yet I knew he knew how I felt about the flowers in this world. He looked into my eyes and they sadden. I knew when he saw my brother in them. They use to tell how our similar how green eyes were.

After that small commotion with my father he shooed me off and told me that I didn't have to help anymore. I was a bit sad about how he didn't want my help now, but I was quite fine with it as well.

I quietly walked back into my room and grabbed my gloves and hat. Today was kind of chilly. Even though we grow many types of flowers here in Gloria City, the weather can get cold as well.

Heading back down my mother saw me leaving. She gave me a sad smile and gave me a nod. I guess she must have heard my little conversation with Father, that's why she let me be.