Chapter 5: September 30, 1970

Copyright (c) 2013 Phyllis Zimbler Miller

All rights reserved.

The Selective Service System sends new rules to local draft boards prohibiting them from calling for induction a man who has reached his 26th birthday unless he had been called previously for service before he was 26. –September 30, 1970

 “You can be assured that US military commanders have plans to protect the safety of US civilians overseas during any emergency just as we have civil defense plans for the safety of our friends and relatives back home.”  Noncombatant Evacuation Order (NEO) issued 14 July 1970, Support District Sud Bayern [South Bavaria

             I sat in a classroom at McGraw Kaserne with other women whose husbands – both officers and enlisted men – had recently joined the 66th MI Group or the 18th MI Battalion.  I had gotten a ride with Nancy, whose car shipped from the U.S. had just arrived. 

              As dependents we were being given an NEO – Noncombatant Evacuation Order – briefing on what to do in case the Russians march into West Germany or set off a nuclear bomb in West Germany.

            The sergeant conducting the briefing passed out booklets for each of us.  Then he said, “This information is passed out on a need to know basis.  You must remember that disclosures of the plans for evacuation to unauthorized persons could jeopardize your safety and the safety of others in the event of an emergency.  This information is not classified, but it is not a matter for discussion with your maid, the children, in letters to the folks back home, or at social gatherings.” 

            I listened in amazement as the sergeant continued: “Also, it would be wise to keep these instructions and all other documents relating to the evacuation in a secure place where they will not be readily accessible to the children or some unauthorized person.  A small box with a lock would serve admirably.”

               Now the sergeant detailed various aspects of the evacuation plan.  He said, “You should in any event dress for comfort and warmth.  For women, slacks and low-heeled shoes are recommended.” 

             The sergeant smiled as he said this.  Did he really think women being evacuated would dress as if going to a party? 

               “At all times your car should be ready, in good repair, with sound tires, and at least one-half tank of gasoline.” I thought about how I would just like to have my car here.  Then I could worry about whether it was in good repair.

              The sergeant told us that each person was allowed 45 pounds of luggage.  I envisioned each one of us with her 45 pounds of luggage trying to get to safety while our German neighbors poured out of their homes to see what was going on. 

                I almost missed what the sergeant said next:

              “You will need the following documents:

1.      Automobile title document (AE Form 89)

2.      Emergency allotment authorization form (DD1337)

3.      Two ID tags (dog tags) per person

4.      One passport for each person

5.      Seven USA Control Cards (AE Form 388) per person”

          Oh, my, this was ridiculous.  I didn’t have any of these items except for a passport and no plans to get them.

                But the sergeant wasn’t done: