chapter three // holding on.

why are you calling up?
         isn't one enough?

    giving up all she's got. "

                 - bombay bicycle club 'flaws'

nora's pov

"A drink at my place to let all that settle?" Trevor suggests as we all shuffle out in the the chilly autumn air, feeling shell-shocked by the amount of information that was thrown at us for the past two hours. 

When they had said college was harder than high school, I should have believed them.

"I have to work," I frown, stopping beside Everett as we wait to cross the street to find his car among the others in the parking lot. 

"I'll join you guys after I drop this one off," Everett props his arm on top of my shoulder, giving me an irritatingly cheeky grin. How he can still continue to be exuding all this energy after that exhausting class is a mystery to me.

I frown up at him, feeling guilty that he has to tote me around when he could be with our friends. I can't help but to feel as if I were a burden to him; that's all I've ever been to him. Why he still keeps me around is past me.

Everett rolls his eyes and playfully flicks my nose, trying his best to assure me that it's not a big deal to him. 

It doesn't help. 

"Maybe we'll come visit you at work?" Sidney suggests, looking at me with big, hopeful eyes and a bright smile.

I snort and shake my head,

"Yeah, if you want Jimmy to fire me," I remark, referring to the last time they were there and ended up breaking one of the oldest records in the store. Jimmy certainly wasn't pleased with us all; especially me. 

"Worker bee here will stop by after work," Everett grabs my bicep as the walk signal changes, allowing us to safely cross the street.

Waving to my friends, I hurry to keep up with Everett's long strides, holding the skirt of my dress up so I don't fall flat on my face. I'm not one known for her gracefulness. Everett glances at me, an amused expression painted on his face. 

*

Everett continues to fumble with the stereo in the car the entire drive downtown, unable to agree on a song to listen to. He always has some sort of explanation as to why he's not in the mood to listen to a certain song. I just nod along, trying to hide my grin from him. 

Usually Everett drops me off on his way to work, since the bar and grill he works at is down the road from the record shoppe I've worked at for the past four years. Otherwise I wouldn't just let him drive me around like my own personal taxi, though I'm sure he'd do it if I asked. 

He pulls to the side of the road, right outside the familiar shop that still looks as it had back in the 80s when it had opened; I've seen the pictures. 

"Have a good day at work," Everett smiles at me, turning the music completely off as I gather my things. 

"Thank you," I smile at him, hurrying due to the fact that I'm already a few minutes late. 

Holding onto all of my things, I practically throw myself into the record store, causing the bell to jingle loudly above the door, announcing my arrival. Jimmy bursts into the store front quickly, but as soon as he lays eyes on me, he relaxes.

"It's about damn time," He grumbles like a grumpy old man.

At least some things never change.