Chapter 16

I've had a stupid smile plastered across my face all afternoon. I have had the best day. And it's probably going to get better.

It's 4:30, and I'm going to try to be at Carter's around 5:30 ish. I'm up in the nest of the tree, snuggling with Beau.

I glance down at Ezhno. I untied him when I got back earlier, and he's grazing a few yards away from the tree. The sunlight glints off of his buckskin hide as he chews the grass methodically.

I slowly climb out of the tree with Beau, along with all of my horse grooming supplies (the tack I stole is still on the ground.)

"Ezhno," I call.

He perks his ears up, and looks at me. He trots up to me, and nuzzles my shoulder. I clip my lead rope onto his halter, and tie him to the tree.

As I groom him, I let my mind wander. At first, I think about Beau, and wonder where he came from. When I was still living with that monster, I woke up one morning, and he was just there. No explanation.

But eventually, my mind wanders to Carter. He's so sweet and cuts and- NO. I can't have a crush on him. Because if anything goes wrong, he can turn me in. I just need to keep him as an ally.

When Ezhno is groomed, I saddle up. I put my phone, money, grooming equipment, and lead in my backpack. Then I grab Beau, and mount Ezhno.

I'm actually getting pretty good at this whole 'riding and holding a puppy' thing.

Instead of going through town to get to Carter's house, I gallop around the town- I can't risk being seen on a stolen horse.

------------

"Hey Taylor. It's about time."

"Well I had to go around town- you know, stolen horse and all," I retort.

He doesn't say anything, he just gives me a cheesy smile. I'm still on Ezhno, who let's out a snort, as if wanting to be acknowledged.

"Wow, so this is Ezhno. He's beautiful," Carter says, looking my horse up and down.

"Yeah. This is Ezhno. And yes, he is beautiful," I agree.

"So, I didn't know what time you were going to get here, so I still haven't tacked up yet," he informs me.

"Oh. Okay. Can you hold Beau while I dismount," I ask.

"Sure," he says.

I hand my pitbull pup to him, and slide off of Ezhno.

"Where can I tie my horse?"

"Here, let me take him," Carter says, reaching his hand out towards me. I hand him the reigns, and follow him as he leads Ezhno towards the pasture. He ties him up to a fence post.

"If you want, you can go see Charcoal while I tack up Chester," he suggests.

"Ok, that would be great," I say, smiling.

"I'll be in the barn if you need me." And with that Carter turns to walk away.

I kiss Ezhno on his head, and then climb over the fence.

"Charcoal," I call.

Within moments I can see him cantering towards me. When he reaches me, I wrap my arms around his neck.

I look around; there's no one out here. I sling myself up onto Charcoals back- Carter May be too big for him, but standing 5.1 feet tall, I am still small enough to ride him.

"Okay boy, let's see what you remember," I whisper.

I grab a handful of his mane, and click my heels into his sides. Charcoal gallops perfectly as I lead him around the pasture. There's a log lying in the center of the field, and I take him over to it to jump.

"Good boy," I say, patting his neck. I hear Ezhno snort, and look over to him.

"Jealous, are we," I yell. Ezhno stomps his foot, and whinnies.

I ignore him, and bring Charcoal to a stop. I lean down, and just sit there on his back, hugging him.

A/N hey my lovelies. Ok, so I know there are not a ton of people reading this, but those of you who are, go read gigi71 s book 'looking beyond'. If u like my book, u will like hers because it's like one million times better. And make sure to vote for it because she's going to stop writing it if it doesn't get more reads/votes!!!

And also, thanks for reading. Vote and comment <3

(Ezhno to side)