The Voice

The American Expedition rides out from behind the far end of the dune. The Americans are accompanied by two dozen native diggers and an Arab Egyptologist. Beni rides lead on a camel, while the rest ride horses. "Good morning, my friend!" he said to Rick.

Rick just nods as the two parties come to a stop a hundred feet apart. He turns and stares out across the endless horizon, as I come to his side, doing the same. Beni does likewise and the Americans look puzzled. "Well, what the hell we doin'?" The one named Daniels said.

"Patience, my good sahib, patience." Beni assured.

One of the other Americans, Henderson, looked at Rick, "First one to the city, O'Connell! Five hundred! Cash bucks!"

He ignores them, as we continue staring. And then, the sun starts to rise in the distance, breaking the flat horizon. "Get ready." He told me.

"For what?" Evie asked.

Before he could answer, I did, "We're about to be shown the way."

Far off to the right, a huge shape begins to rise with the sun. A volcano. Rick and Beni watch it, expressionless.

Daniels, Henderson and the other American, Burns, share a look before yelling, "HEYA!" They race off to the ruins.

Daniels yells back, "SEE YA THERE, O'CONNELL!"

We didn't follow, but I knew why. Jonathan looked at Rick, "Ah, begging your pardon, but shouldn't we be going?"

"After all, you rode us night and day to win that bet." Evie added.

Rick doesn't say a word, staring hard. Beni watches the Americans and spits into the sand, "Fools."

And then suddenly, the volcano shifts across the horizon, passing across the sun as it goes. As I figured, it was a mirage. The Americans crash their horses to a stop and race the other way, after the volcano. I could sense my siblings' amazement from behind, as they continued watching.

The volcano shifts again, floating across the watery horizon. The Americans crash to a stop again and chase after the volcano, with all three of them confused and cursing. Rick,Beni, and I just stare, waiting. The volcano shifts again, and the Americans crash to a stop again. Burns is thrown from his horse. Henderson angrily rips his hat off and chucks it to the ground. Daniels just curses as they give up the chase, as the volcano comes to a stop on the far left of the horizon.

No one moves for a beat, and then Rick grins, as does Beni. I get ready, as they shared a look. They swat their camels and race away, me not far behind. Everybody else hauls-ass after us. Rick and Beni are neck-and-neck. I come up beside Rick, as Beni takes out his camel whip and starts whipping O'Connell, trying to knock him off his camel. But on the third try, Rick grabs the whip and jerks Beni off his camel. Beni slams to the ground and tumbles.

Evie comes up beside me as we race across the desert. I hear my sister laugh and grin, glad she was enjoying herself. She beats us to the stone ramp, racing hard. "Evelyn! Slow down!" Rick yells.

She ignores him and races up the ramp.

He tried again, "SLOW DOWN, EVELYN! SLOW DOWN! THERE'S A REALLY BIG --" She goes ass-over-teacups through the air and crash lands in a sand dune. She sits up, stunned, sandy hair in her eyes. We stop next to her, "Never mind." he said. I snicker at her and she gave me a glare.

The Americans ride up and look in wonder at the ruins inside the volcano. Rick gives them a big, shit-eating grin, "You boys owe me five hundred dollars." 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  

Hamunaptra - Dig Site