Chapter Thirty One: He's my brother (Elrohir)

I stared at the woman before me with such mystification. The glorious smile that adorned her features set my soul ablaze. The moment was only tinged with a hint of sadness. I had never meant for her to see this much. True, she would no doubt hound me if she knew of my intentions. Never once had I mistaken her for your average housewife. Still, I would have put her through it to keep her safe. To keep her mind free from the corruption and horror of battle. I had not missed the look on her face when she peered down to survey the portcullis. Now I knew what men meant when they said that a woman's place wasn't just a sexist motion. Galandria herself was proof that we would tolerate them going to war with us, not keep them behind because we believed they were too weak. 

The overprotectiveness I felt for her was indescribable. Other woman had tried to make me jealous, yet I found myself not to be the jealous type. However, when I saw them drag Galandria into the courtyard of the great tree, I had lost my mind. Even in a condition where my life was hanging by a thread, she was my first priority. She completely had me doing whatever she wanted. There was a time where perhaps I would not have gone so far. Back in the clearing, when I was taken, I had known she adored me. Despite our relationship back then, I still had my lingering doubts of what I truly felt for her. I had saved her from that brute of a drunkard, cared for her, yet all the work was on my side.

 That's not to say I wouldn't have done it all over again for her, but it made me question how she felt about me. When her shock at someone willing to defend her went away and things settled down for us, I was not sure she would still love me. She was obviously so inexperienced with men, I was probably the only decent man she had met, out of the few that she had. As a result when I heard she had come for me, I knew I could never let her go. She was willing to fight for me when logic went against it. She knew she was outnumbered and likely to die, whereas I knew I could take down the drunkard right from the start. I had so much to make up to her for that, even if I spent my entire life doing just that. 

I reached for her hand and a slight rosy colour coated her cheeks. "Yes, I believe we shall now be victorious." I smiled down at her. "It's all because of you my love?"

"It's because of us." She laughed. "-and the resilience of our people, of course." 

Morgel took this opportunity to speak up. "Oh no Galandria, this is all down to you." 

"-quite." I added quickly, that possessive side of myself striking out. "You think I would be here raising the gate if it weren't for you?"

"Yes, but only the three of us could turn the tide of the battle." She looked thoughtful. "I could not raise this gate alone." She held an arm up, as though to prove she was weak. I would always know of her strong will though and physical strength isn't everything. 

"I wouldn't have gone after Elrohir had you not persuaded me." Morgel hung his head in shame. I did not blame him for that line of thinking however. Logic suggested he would die if he attempted to rescue me alone. Galandria was the one who had a knack for ignoring the rules, even in the face of impossible odds. "This could have put the entire battle in jeopardy, if you two had been kept apart. It would have caused a rift in the army."

"Oh Gods" She sighed. "If only we could have caught Nicholas. Then all these things would be more than a hollow victory. I rejoice over what we have accomplished, yet it could all be for naught." 

I felt conflicted as she said this. I had still not addressed the issue of Nicholas. He had done so much land and I was ashamed to call him my brother. I had threatened to kill him. He had tried to take Galandria from me. He had tried to destroy everything I loved. He had called me insane for servicing the Powers. Morgel interrupted my thoughts before they could go any further. "What of the tunnel?"