Dear John

24th December, 2011

Dear John,

Well.

A week has passed since we last saw each other, and already I am feeling better, finer, happier...

Freer.

I know that life's been hard on you lately. I know there's been things with you father, your mother, your friends... horrible things, things I could barely start to imagine...

Until I met you.

And I know that you're taking it pretty hard. I know it had been taking its toll on you for quite some time now. But still...

You had no right to take it out on me.

I tried, okay? I tried to be there for you. I tried to comfort you when you cried, catch you when you fell...

...Calm you when you were mad.

You're probably confused about all this. I chuckle now as I think of you, reading this letter while having a drink or a cigarette, your face contorted into that funny little expression of bafflement.

So let me explain it to you.

Oh no, it won't be as simple as that. This started way back... back in June, as a matter of fact. Less than a month since I had first met you, since that first date...

So as you read this, though, please keep this in mind, as one small comfort through this pain and truth I am about to write to you.

I really did love you.