Chapter Twenty Eight

Elsa

The dome fell from around the castle, and the five watched on as the true colour of the sky returned to them. The  light of the moon settled across their faces as a triumphant glow of pride.

" Shall we get out of here?" Jack suggested, tugging on Elsa's hand.

"But how? Toothless can only carry three of us." Hiccup interrupted.

Jack grinned cheekily in response. " I have an alternative." He mused mysteriously. " We'll see you guys back at the Workshop."

" Wind, to the workshop!" Jack exclaimed, and a strong whirlwind swept Jack and Elsa into its embrace; their feet leaving the ground. Jack steered the two of them into the sky and they were soon lost to the remaining three's eyes.

" I must admit; before all of this, it never occurred to me that Jack Frost would be able to fly." Rapunzel miffed, her eyebrows quirking.

" Come on," Hiccup suggested. " We've got a castle to explore and a night fury to find." 

" If he's even here, that is." Merida grumbled, crossing her arms. " Has it occurred to you that if Toothless is in fact, not here and was returned with the same spell used on the guardians, that we're stuck?"

" Oh come on, we've effectively just saved the world, can't you have let your pessimistic thoughts stay buried another few moments?" Rapunzel scolded, and as the two continued to bicker back and forth, Hiccup let out a devastated sigh. I can tell already how much I'm going to enjoy the ride back.

Perhaps I can stage Toothless accidentally dropping them into the pacific ocean, Hiccup wondered as a few possibilities occurred to him. And then, with their wrath incurred, I can blame it all on the dragon.

Hiccup frowned and cringed. Actually, no, horrible idea. Because that would then result in me being tossed into the ocean as well.

The sensation of being weightless, flying, was simply exhilarating and Elsa had felt no more alive than with the wind under her, the clouds above, and Jack beside her; their hands interlaced. Her heart was beating so rapidly it threatened to tear open her ribcage.

" Jack, this is simply wonderful!" Elsa giggled, her laughter catching on the wind and drifting about around them.

The ground was so far beneath them, and everything had become small and minuscule; nothing mattered up here, and Elsa now understood what it would be like for a bird. This was true freedom.

And it was wondrous.

" Beats the alternative, doesn't it?" Jack smirked, arching his eyebrows smugly. " The wind will take me anywhere that I ask, and I've found that when I don't ask, it takes me right where I'm meant to be."

"How long have you been able to do this?" Elsa wondered.

" As long as I've been Jack Frost." Jack replied with a casual shrug.

"And who were you before? In Arendelle? If I recall correctly, your hair and eyes were both brown." Elsa queried with intrigue.

" My name was Jackson Overland. I had a younger sister and parents. We lived amongst the trees in a house made of birch. I used to take my sister ice skating, and swing from tree branches upside down." Jack explained, recalling his past life with a rueful smile.