Chapter 15

I'm staring. Totally freaking staring. Like a creepy starer.

But now that it's in my head, I can't seem to get it out.

I want him.

"You're staring at me," Tyler's voice says in a deep whisper.

See? I am staring. When he calls me out I blink away. Watch the movie, Evie. That's what we're doing. Tyler came home with dinner and a rented movie and candy. Because he thought it would help take my mind off everything. He is convinced that watching zombies kill people is a good way to release frustration. Actually, he thought shooting zombies in a video game was a good way to do that, but I'm not coordinated enough to play video games so a movie was the next best option. I'm not sure I agree with his theory, but the gesture is nice. Some ridiculous zombie movie is playing and since monstrous cannibalism doesn't really do it for me, it's hard not to let myself become distracted by Tyler's strong jaw line, currently covered by just a little bit of stubble. Annnnd I'm staring again.

"Sorry," I mumble and force my eyes to the screen in time to see one of the undead, rotting corpses tear into pretty blonde girl. Poor pretty blonde girl, they never stand a chance in horror movies. I don't think they even took the time to give that one a name. In my periphery, I see his lips twitch up.

"Wasn't complaining."

I bite down on my cheeks to keep myself from smiling, but I am not very successful. Tyler Hart is flirting with me and it's making my stomach feel like I'm at the precipice of the first giant fall while riding a roller coaster. Nervous and excited, my body is bubbling with anticipation as I await the free fall. It's been so long since I've felt like this that I want to cling on to the feeling and never let go. It's intoxicating and wonderful. I thought this part of me was long dead, beaten into an early grave much like the blonde co-ed on the screen.

How did I respond to that? I am so out of practice with handling wanted advances. Also, his sister is sitting right next to me and I don't really know how she would feel about me flirting it up with her brother. Or maybe I do. She's okay with the idea, but I don't want to make it weird for her.

When it becomes apparent that nothing witty or cute is going to magically fly from my mouth, I give up on trying and watch the movie. I watch it, acutely aware of the boy sitting to my right. His sister is to my left and is either oblivious to the (possibly in my mind) sexual tension building between her brother and I, or is doing her best to ignore it.

"Well," Talon says when the credits roll. "That was a terrible movie."

I laugh because I agree but I don't want to say anything because I don't want to hurt Tyler's feelings. He was right, anyway, it took my mind off of everything. Or maybe that was just him.

"That was pure zombie genius," Tyler corrects leaning forward to pin his sister with a look. Talon rolls her eyes chuckling and Tyler settles back into the couch, stretching his arm across the back as he does. His weight shifts in a way that sitting between cushions where I am, my body tilts toward his at the movement. I don't let my body fall into his though, but I want to, I sooo want to.

"I should probably go," I say and push my hands against the couch to stand up. Tyler's hand falls to my shoulder before my butt can leave the cushion and pulls me back.

"It's after midnight Evie. You can crash here."

His hand doesn't leave my back. Nope, he definitely does not stop touching me. It slides down to my lower back and hangs out there totally casually as if tingles aren't sparking from his fingertips to my back.