Chapter Two: A Quest in New York

-Monday-

       Harry stepped through the doors of Sky Business with an air of overconfidence. What would he do today? Maybe he would do something actually interesting, like not washing bathroom stalls. Hooting, he called out, "Andatrametraaaa! I'm prepared for whatever shenanigans you got up your wing today!"

       A mysterious hand grabbed his hair. "Listen up. You should stop thinking you can do the special things first, because you have to start at the basics."

       Turning around, he saw Anda glaring at him. "Ow! You seriously need to stop being so annoying. Didn't I make the restrooms crystal clean? Also, since you didn't specify, I also cleaned the women's restrooms." He grinned mischieviously.

       She said in disgust, "I bet there were women inside, right?"

       "Of course not! I can't believe you would think I'd stoop that low," Harry said in defense, although he did wonder what would happen if there were women present.

       Anda rolled her eyes. "Well, anyway, there's a sewage problem in New York, America, and normally, Mericans don't go to America, but as I said on Friday, we seem to be running low on staff."

       "What's New York? What do you mean by America?" Harry asked, obviously confused.

       She burst out laughing. "You don't know where New York is and you don't know what America is! New York is the state in a country called America."

       "Well, isn't Merica a country too? And the state I come from, Florider, is that the same thing? I actually didn't go anywhere outside my state, I think."

       "Now you did. Sky Business is in the middle of Merica. We're in Kinsis! Weren't you paying any attention to the scenery when you got driven here?"

      "Um, I might have been sleeping..." Harry admitted abashedly.

       Anda furrowed her brow. "I regret confirming your employee application. Since you're here now and you clearly never paid attention in your Geography classes, let me tell you." She checked her cell phone's time. "There's still time left till work."

       She patted the blue "Waiting Area" seat next to her as she shrunk her wings. "First off, Merica is an aerial country right above America that's almost an exact replica of it, excluding Hawaii and Alaska. Merica is hidden by the clouds, so when you go down there, disguise yourself carefully. It never snows or rains here, and that's good, because that would make our wings soggy and wet. That's why no one needs to wear long pants/dresses/jeans. Many of the names of our states and names of brands are close to the ones on America. Merica was built as an experiment originally and humans were put there to live for a while, but a scientist put something in the drinking water by accident and they all got wings. The scientist was caught, of course. However, the creator of Merica thought these wings were a great idea and decided to let the people with wings live here. Only a few inhabitants don't have wings, only because they have special attributes Mericans need."

       After a long pause, Harry asked, "Do people with wings have any name for the species?"

       "Unfortunately, no. There's nothing really too different about us anyway, besides the fact that we have wings, I guess," Anda replied.

       Right when Harry opened his mouth to speak, the bell rang. "9 o' clock! 9 o' clock! Second Floor Employees report for duty!"

       Harry smiled at her. "That was a great lesson. You should be a teacher, you know."