Ariella [Chapter 2]

When I woke up, I was in the hospital. There were my family members around me. My dad, staring at the blank wall, not saying anything. My aunt, crying her eyes out.

I had been in a coma for three weeks. I have a scar right behind my left ear, and would have possibly died if my mother hadn't shielded my torso with her arm. A sharp of glass cut into her right where my heart would have been. She had saved my life. I remember waking up. Most of my family, cousins, aunts, friends left, but my dad stayed. He told me Mom was dead. He told me Gabby was gone. He told me I was lucky to be alive.

Lucky? I stood up, tears streaming down my face. I picked up a vase of flowers, and flung it at him. It hit the wall, shattering the vase. Water splashed, leaving dirt and petals on the wall, dripping down onto the shiny cold tile.

"Lucky?" I screeched, reaching for an empty glass of water.

********

I didn't know until that night that I was the one screaming. Mom and Gabby were already dead. Dad hadn't cared then. He still didn't now. He didn't care for me, because deep down, he missed my mom. I look like her. The same wavy blond hair. The same emerald green eyes. The same voice. The same smell. I walked just like her. I acted just like her. In a way I was her.

Dad didn't seem to like that much.

Every time he looked at me, which was rarely, he saw her. I dont mean in a sick way. I mean the round face. The full, round lips, and the upper one curved into a natural pout, the color faded pink, just like my mom's. He saw the golden freckles, scattered onto my cheeks and across the bridge of my nose. He saw the shape of my mother's eyes. Her long dark lashes. The deep green. He saw her hair, falling to my elbows in gentle light gold waves .He saw her before he saw me.

********

It's sunny outside, mid may. I'm stuck in this church. I haven't been in one since Mom died. I feel like crying, but I have to hold it in. I will not cry. I will not cry. I will notcry.

"Speak now, or forever hold your peace."

I raised my hand.

"Yes miss?" The priest said nervously.

The whole church stared at me. Evelyn and her daughters glared.

What was I about to do? Ruin my Dad's life?

No, I was saving him from a lifetime of damnation to that woman. He can't replace my mother, Gabby and I. Right? But he wanted this. Didn't he?

"I just wanted to say that I'm really glad my dad has found someone that makes him happy."

I walked back to my place as a bridesmaid.

What have I done? Why have I done this?

********