The Freeks

The Freeks

Chapter One

Life Changer

Thunder rolled over the sky in a loud boom. There was so much rain that I literally thought we were going to sink. The windshield wipers were helpless against this fierce downpour and dust from the road that my mother pulled over on the side of the vacant road to wait out the weather.

"I think we can wait the rain," she said looking out the window. "We can wait til' the rain lets a little, right?"

I smirked at her anxiousness. "Mom, we're gonna be fine. It's just a little rain and thunder. When the rain lets up, we can find a hotel and get some rest. We can finish the ride tomorrow."

She was shaking and I could see the slight of fear in her eyes. "Okay," she whispered.

"Everything's gonna be fine, Mom. We'll make it to the house."

"Gosh Dillon, when did you become the mom," she laughed touching my jet black hair, dyed not natural but I wish.

"When you became more afraid of them than I was," I told her returning the gesture. Her hair was a russet red color, not so ginger but not a red head either. It was my natural hair color but I didn't like it. On me anyway.

"We can just chill out here a second," Mom said. We were watching the rain pour down and enjoying the view. I loved rain, thunder, lightning. Lightning the most and it kept me calm. Everything about the rain kept me calm. Even as my mom had so much issues with it.

"How are you doing," I asked her. She was making the face that I hated seeing on her.

She smiled softly at me. "I'm fine, I think. It's just with all this rain-"

"I know, Mom," I whispered taking her hand. "I think we're gonna be fine now."

"I know that now. I just miss him so much."

"Me too."

We sat in silence for a while. We missed Dad. A lot. He died three months ago due to cancer and my mother and I wanted to, in his honor, to move to California from Connecticut. He wanted to retire there but never got the chance. It was hard for us to move knowing that we had to leave him behind. In terms of his physical being not with us.

"Anyway," my mom interrupted. "Have you practiced? You know."

"No," I sighed rolling my eyes. "I haven't practiced since dad-"

"Alright," she cut me off again. "I think you should. It's going to get better."

"I control it,"I told her. I "I'm not going to use it anytime soon. You don't approve of it."

"Dad did," she reminded me. "I should be more like him."

"No you shouldn't." The patter of the rain released some calm in me and I continued. "You were against me and dad and he wanted me to respect that. So I will."

"Me and my big mouth," she stammered over tears. I touched her shoulder and she smiled. "I swear when you do that you remind me of him."

"Well then I might need to stop before you think of other weird things he used to do."

She laughed suddenly and her face lightened up. "You make me crazy, child."

"The rain is letting up," I laughed. "Let's go."

My mom nodded her head and looked out her rearview mirror and side mirrors. She was always careful when it came to driving. She had a type feeling for things like that. And she wanted to make absolute sure nothing was in our way in this rain.