Chapter Ten

I raced to the kitchen computer and looked up the Schneider’s on the internet. There were many listed but only one family on the Plateau. I got the address and plugged it into Google Maps. They lived just at the bottom of the hill. Then I grabbed the paper and ran over to Piper’s house, ignoring my aunt’s queries.

If Piper was surprised to see me, she didn’t show it. She looked at me like she always did, sort of a blank look of recognition and tepid friendliness. Piper wasn’t known for her spontaneous displays of emotion.

“Hey,” she said and stepped back from the door to let me in.

“Hey.” I gave her the newspaper and stepped into the house. My mother accuses teenagers of killing the English language because we use so few words, but what Mom didn’t get was the volume of communication we put into each word. For instance, what Piper was really saying was, “It’s good to see you up and around. You’re looking pretty normal and are welcome to come in my house because even though I know you’re a vampire, I am not afraid of you and to prove it you may enter.”

And my response meant, “I’m glad you aren’t afraid of me and that you care if I am okay. I’m here because I need your help and you letting me in shows you are up to helping me.” So now you know the truth about monosyllabic teenage communication.

I followed her past the living room where her parents were enjoying the evening news. Neither looked up when I entered so I didn’t offer a greeting. Once we were alone in the kitchen Piper asked, “What’s this?”

“Did you read about Jill Schneider? The other girl who was attacked?”

Piper looked down at the paper and blew out a sigh. Then she looked me in the eye and nodded.

“Coincidence?” I asked.

Piper snorted in response.

“Yeah, that’s what I thought.”

I looked at the plate of cookies sitting on her kitchen island with longing. Chocolate chip and walnuts.

“What’s the plan?” she asked me.

I picked up one of the cookies and smelled it appreciatively. “I was thinking about stopping by her house to offer my condolences to her parents. Try to get a feel for the situation.”

Piper took the cookie from me with a stern look. “Don’t even think about it. If you hurl on the hardwood, Mom will have a fit. Come on.” She started to put the cookie back but changed her mind and took a bite. She had a way of kicking a person when she was down. Then she grabbed a set of keys hanging by the door that led to the garage.

“You don’t have to do this, you know.”

She looked at me with the half-eaten cookie clutched between her teeth and rolled her eyes. Okay, she was in all the way. That was all I needed to know.

After she finished the cookie she called out to the living room, “Mom, I’m going to the mall with Colby. Be back in a while.”

“With who?” her mother called back.

“Colby. You know, from next door? She wants my advice on her homecoming dress.” I looked at Piper in horror and she winked at me.

“Oh, all right dear. Have fun,” her mother replied.

“What? No questions about my attack or anything?” I asked, surprised her mom didn’t give me the third degree.

“Cold medicine. Mom’s fighting a cold and has a huge presentation tomorrow. The Nyquil wipes her out. Dad was probably sleeping,” Piper explained.