Prologue

Ten years ago was the last time I was sure I was happy. It was winter morning, and the snow was falling lightly. I was happily waiting in the old playground by the church. My head was filled with thoughts of what we were going to do that day as I swung back and forth. I had a notebook where I wrote the plans for that day. I remember the little scribbles I would place in the side if I got bored. I never stopped thinking of ideas. My father told me that if I stopped thinking of new things, I would grow up sad and lonely. That boy was my only friend. I was overjoyed since I wouldn’t be lonely anymore. I remember the color of the pen I wrote with-purple-his favorite color. Others would say it was stupid to stay there. “He was lying to you,” or “He won’t come,” they would say. But I knew he would. “He promised,” I had said.

                He never came.

                Nevertheless, I stayed there the whole day thinking, “He’ll come. He promised.” But it was dark, and he still hadn’t arrived. My eyes stared coldly at the fallen snow. My shivering hand gripped the notebook. My other was gripping the cold steel chains of the swing. I was cold and hungry, but I persevered. It was Christmas after all, my first Christmas with a friend. But he still didn’t arrive.

                It was almost midnight. I asked my father not to pick me up because I wanted to cherish my first birthday with my friend. The clock tower struck twelve, the end of Christmas. As the bell chimed thrice, I could feel tears falling against my frozen cheeks. Shivering, I got off my seat. I wobbled as I walked on the snow. The tears never stopped. I threw the notebook in the snow. I was angry-angry at myself for being so stupid. I cried and cried until I got home. I knocked on our door. There was no answer. I saw a note on the ground.

                “Dear Celia, I hope you had fun today! I went to your grandfather’s house. You can sleep over at Blake’s while I’m gone! Love, Dad”

                I didn’t know where to go. I was cold, hungry and sleepy. I felt so tired that I fainted at the doorstep.

                It was all his fault. I shouldn't have come. I shouldn't have trusted him. I should've listened. He was the delinquent in school. I would often see him sleeping during class, or playing pranks on the teachers. One day, he saw me in the playground all alone.

               "From now on, you're my friend!" he had said. "This is our meeting place. Go here everyday. I'll be here, waiting."

               But he lied. Nobody came. I just sat there looking like a fool. I hated him. Quite ironic it was. I happened to hate the boy I first fell in love with.