To Be A Hunter........2

“Leviathan?” Jane repeated. “What? The seven-headed sea serpent from the Bible?”

“S—seven heads?” The man with the long sideburns, Sam, stuttered.

From listening to the men banter on and on, Jane had discovered the young men’s names. The older man’s name was still unknown to Jane.

“This isn’t the Lock Ness Monster, okay!” The cocky guy, Dean said. “Tell her, Bobby!” Dean was three sheets to the wind and still going for more drinks.

“They bleed black ooze and feast on your innards. The only thing we have found to hurt them is Sodium Borate, found in cleaning supplies. It burns their skin. Then you have to decapitate them and separate the head as far as you can,” The gruff old man said.

His name was Bobby? Hmm…It must be a coincidence.

Jane blinked at him. “You can’t kill a Leviathan,” She finally responded.

“We know,” Dean said. “This just slows them down for as long as possible.”

“You have to get them all pack into Purgatory, where they should be. You released them?” Jane shouted.

“We didn’t. Our…friend did. The Leviathan killed him and is now loose. We managed to close Purgatory before anything else could get out,” Dean replied. He had a distant look in his eye.

Purgatory was where the souls of demons and monsters go. They don’t go to Hell or Heaven, the supernatural beings go straight to Purgatory, a place much different (and not to mention separate) than Heaven or Hell. God created Purgatory to hold the monsters back from destroying the rest of His creation.

These boys were telling Jane that they were able to open up a monster door that God himself had nailed shut? Or their friend did? They let the Leviathan loose?

The solemn look on their faces told Jane that they were not lying or joking around.

“There is an app for everything now,” She mumbled to herself as she pulled out her smart phone. It took her less than two minutes to find what she was looking for. Jane read aloud the passage (Job 41) directly from the digital Bible she had accessed on her phone. Then she summarized it up in a neat fashion.

“This monster breathes fire, has seven heads, their eyes glow, has skin as hard as rocks, it’s back is made of a row of shields, it has jagged rows of teeth, and the stomachs have jagged spikes. ‘Nothing on earth is its equal—a creature without fear. It looks down on all that are haughty; it is king over all that are proud.’—Job 41:33”

Jane tucked her phone back into her pocket. “And this is what’s out there?”

“Yes,” Sam nodded.

“It takes on a human form, almost like a vessel, but not quite. It’s different. It got into the municipal water supply. The Leviathan traveled far and fast. We know a group of them are posing as surgeons in Sioux Falls Hospital,” The old man said and took another shot of whiskey.

Jane sighed. “What can I do to help?”

What Jane was thinking was more like ‘I don’t have time to help these damn baboons. I am trying to find my biological family’. So why was she so easily try to reach out to them?

“You seem to know a lot about this Leviathan,” Dean concluded suspiciously.

“I should since I have a degree in World History, majoring in mythology and folklore,” Jane said with a shrug.

She was a foster kid who was able to kill a few demons here and there, but she was smart and applied for every type of scholarship she could get her fingers on. It paid off in the end. Jane was now 30 years old, school paid off, and working on a Master’s Degree.

“Nowadays, people just think they were talking about some sort of giant squid or maybe a crocodile.”

“A squid with seven heads?” Dean asked.

“No, probably mistaking the tentacles for heads,” Jane answered.

“This thing has tentacles for sure,” The old man chuckled. “It spreads via water.”

The old man’s name was Bobby. How serendipitous is that? Or…maybe…

Jane pulled her phone out of her pocket once more. This time she kept her phone under the table so nobody else can see it. She hit redial.

A phone started buzzing to the tune of ACDC. The older man swore loudly and glanced at his phone.

“This stupid number keeps calling me and hanging up,” He complained.

Jane blinked at him and turned her phone off. This man was Bobby Singer.