Chapter 4: Inexplicable Actions

I woke up on a soft surface, realizing I was on my bed. I thought I fell asleep on the couch last night…Nash must have moved me. After a long hot shower, I put on a pair of faded jean shorts and a purple V-neck. I slipped on my favorite black Converse shoes and skipped down the stairs, greeting the day with a smile.

As I approached the kitchen, I saw two notes on the counter. I took the bigger one first, and while opening it, a wad of cash fell out. It read:

Karilyn,

            We needed to leave for an emergency business trip last night but you were already asleep. We left some money in case you need it and we’ll be back in two days. Take care of yourself, honey.

                                                                                                            Love you,

Mom and Dad

After I finished reading, I let out a sigh. My parents were on a business trip – again. I mean, I’m thankful that they work so hard in order to support me and send me to school, but that doesn’t stop me fromwishing that I could see them more often.

I unfolded the second note, wondering whom it was from.

Hey Kari,

            I wanted to bring you to school today since you’re injured but Ian had to go to school early so we had to leave. Your foot must hurt like hell so I left some breakfast on the table so you wouldn’t have to make it yourself. Wear comfortable shoes and be careful, Kari.

See you in school,

Nash

A small smile curved the corners of my mouth. I couldn’t believe a boy this sweet was alive, and related to someone like Ian to boot. I quickly went to the table, uncovering the food. Nash had prepared a delicious breakfast of waffles and coffee. The coffee was a latte, just the way I liked it. I eagerly sat down and dug into the food.

After eating, I cleaned up and went to my car. I slid inside and inhaled the new car scent. My dad bought the car a month ago, but I bought tons of air freshener to maintain that clean scent.

The trip to school took only ten minutes and I still had lots of time when I arrived. As I stepped out of my car, Francis immediately came up to me.

“Kari, can I sleep over today? My parents are out of town,” he pleaded.

I nodded. “Of course. You know you’re always welcome.”

I shut the car door and started towards the school with Francis walking beside me.

Looking over at me, he suddenly frowned. “Why are you limping, Kari?” he asked, concerned.

“Oh, I sprained my foot yesterday. It’s not that bad though,” I explained.

“What?” he gasped. “Are you okay? Do you need help?”

“I’m fine, Francis,” I said, brushing away his worry. “And hey, don’t you have an art meeting this morning?” I reminded him.

“Oh yeah! Thanks for reminding me!” he said, remembering. “Are you sure you don’t need my help or anything?”

“Go! You’ll be late,” I insisted.

Francis walked away and I headed towards my locker. I was surprised to see Ian there.

“Hey, Davenport,” I nodded in acknowledgement.