Chapter 7

Hey!! Anyone who reads this story, please comment and let me know what you think! Even if you hated it! I'd like to know if its worth continuing or not. Please let me know, and thanks to anyone who's read it so far!   

Chapter 7:

We pulled up to the jail about ten minutes after leaving the police station. The officer didn't say anything to me. I followed him and they had me put on some orange clothes, then took me to cell number twenty-four. It was a small room with four bunk-beds in the corner. Was I going to be sharing a cell with other people? This was just wonderful.

Why was I here, anyways? I hadn't done anything wrong! They didn't even give me a chance to prove my innocence! Well, Dave said he'd get me out as soon as possible. I knew he would, too. I trusted Dave with my life. He'd always been there for me, through every time I got in trouble and every time I scraped my knee, as far back as I could remember, he was there.

My mind went through all the memories of me and Dave. We'd been friends since forever. No, Dave and I weren't friends, we were best friends.

A loud ringing noise shook me from my thoughts. The door to my cell opened. I stood up and poked my head into the hall. A bunch of people were heading down the halls. Maybe it was lunch time? I decided to just follow everyone else.

I was walking down the hall when someone shoved me to the side and I fell onto the ground, landing on my injured wrist and causing pain to shoot through my hand and up my arm. I whimpered in pain as whoever had shove me laughed.

"Stupid girl," A voice muttered above me and someone kicked my side, causing more pain. I heard a whistle, then someone picked me up and pushed me forward. I was walking with the crowd again, but I was clutching my side and clamping my teeth in pain.

A few minutes later, I reached a cafeteria. I grabbed a tray and a lady put a huge lump of what looked like pudding, but smelled like vegetables, on my tray. I went to find an empty table and sat down, avoiding everyone in the area.

For a long time, I just swirled the pudding-stuff around on my plate, refusing to eat it.

"It's edible, you know." A voice said from behind me. I turned to see a girl behind me. She was really tall and looked like she could smash me with one finger. She kind of scared me. But her voice was soft when she spoke. "You don't look like the type to be in jail. What brings you here?" She sat across from me and started scarfing down the pudding-stuff like a starving animal.

"Umm, people thought I kidnapped my little brother," I told her.

"But you didn't." She said.

"No. They have evidence to 'prove' it, though, and they didn't even let me defend myself." I told her. She rolled her eyes.

"People will believe anything these days. The justice system is so screwed up around here."

"I can tell."

After sitting in silence for a few minutes, another bell rang and people started heading back to their cells. When I got to mine, there was still nobody there. Maybe I wasn't sharing a cell with someone. Good.

Around five o'clock, I was allowed a phone call. I took the phone and punched in the number I knew so well. The number I'd call almost every day. The only number I knew by heart.

"Hello?" Dave said on the other end of the line.

"Hi." I said.

"Erica! Are you okay?" He asked. I could tell he'd been worried about me.

"Kind of. Someone pushed me earlier and my wrist is hurting again." I told him.

"Who pushed you?"