Chasing Shadows

I find myself running but I don't why, or where for that matter. All I know is that I have to get away. I feel the beat of my heart pounding against my ears like tribal drums playing their war songs as  I race though these dark woods, with only the light of the full moon to light my path. As I run, I'm constantly searching for something. A marking, a path, some kind sign of humanity, of safety. But no signs ever came. I never paused for breath though. Always running, always pushing my self to go faster. Never giving my aching muscles a break for fear that what ever was behind me would catch up.

Yet I heard no signs of pursuit. No footsteps, no panting breaths from some one running as hard as I was. Yet I could just sense something was there. Just at the outside of my senses. Something cold, evil, hungry, and it was getting closer. So I kept running, never looking back, traveling ever forward, afraid of what was behind.

Hours seem to pass, never once hearing a sound from behind. No sign of anything there except that overriding sense that someone was breathing down my neck. Finally I couldn't take it anymore. I look back only to find same trees I passed seconds before. No gigantic beast, No man eating monster from another plane, just shadows and trees. That's when my world turned upside down.

I turned back to see the world rushing towards my face, In the brief moment, as I fell to the ground, time seamed to slow, as I realized that I was going to die. That me, Jexxal , was going to die on this patch of dirt, In this endless forest. running from demons he couldn't even see. I look up to just off in the distance a figure cloaked in shadow, before slamming my head against a rock. The last thing I heard was the sound of a women laughing before the darkness enveloped me.

I awoke moments later, pain the only thing on my mind. My forehead was sticky and wet. I tried wiping it away, only causing it to bleed more heavily. That's when I realized I split my skull.

explains why I cant see, I thought almost sarcastically. I looked around only to find that I was still in this dark forest, and the figure was still standing there watching me. Almost like it wanted me to see what was about to happen. I tried to scramble up but I was jerked back down again by something around my ankle. It was a tree root, I tried to sit up and rip it away but it seemed like the more I pulled and ripped at it the tighter the root would wrap around my ankle. Almost like the trees themselves were out to get me. That's when the footsteps began

Tears and blood began to mix on my face as the world began to blur. That's when the footsteps began. I swung my head around to find that the figure had stepped out of the shadows and was slowly walking towards me. Definitely a women she was tall and lean, and coming straight at me.

I turned back to the root trying to desperately kick it away with my free leg, yet it held firm, slowly losing circulation iin my foot. The women slowed to a stop a few feet away.

"Long time no see," She whispers, giggling at the end. My heart stopped as I recognized the voice. And my last thoughts before falling back into the darkness, were ones of Clair.