Chapter 6

I can't believe my parents would go behind my back and make Evangaline marry. I think it should have been her choice when she married , but it makes me wonder why they were in such a rush to marry her with someone. I had heard rumours about planters forcing slaves to mate so the planter could have more slaves with better qualities. I hope my father would never be that cruel so I like to believe that there was another purpose for her being married so soon.

She was married on Sunday to a slave called Big Sam. I hope she is happy or maybe she can learn to be. I hate the fact that another one of my friends has been forced into a marriage but I am hoping that maybe when she comes in today that she will tell me good news about the man she married. I tried to keep my thoughts off of Evangaline but I just couldn't do it. I walked over to the window to watch the progress of Longwood. So much had happened since I had come here. When I came to Longwood for the first time I thought I would be leaving behind everything I ever dreamed of but I think that Longwood is wonderful. I met Nicholas here, Evangaline became my friend. I guess it's not so bad after all.

I heard the door creek open and I heard the rustle of a gown and I turned suddenly. I saw Evangaline peek her face into the room and smile. Then she ran inside when she saw me. The first thing I did was hug her then we both cried for a little bit. After we got done crying we started laughing at each other.

After we dried our tears and got over our laughter I started asking Evangaline about her husband.

"So do you think you can be happy with Tom?"

"Julie I already am. He has such a wonderful personality, and he is so nice to me. We only had two days to get to know one another before we were to marry but I feel like I have known him forever. I am so happy, I just wish you had a man to be happy with as well."

 "Me too Evangaline. Me too."

"Evangaline I have something to tell you. I think I really like a man."

"Who?"

"Nicholas, Mr. Samuel's apprentice."

"Oh Julie, you will get in so much trouble if you are caught with him. Is Nicholas the one you sneek off to see in the woods when you think no one is watching? When you come back you look so happy."

"Yes Nicholas is the one I sneak off to see."

"Julie you haven't done anything with him have you?" She asked seriously. I shook my head.

"No we haven't done anything besides talk. Evangaline I don't even know if he likes me back."

"He does. Tom has told me about how worried he is about Nicholas getting into trouble with you. Nicholas is his only real friend, so he worries."

"Nicholas never told me he was friends with Tom.He doesn't tell me anything. When he is with me,he seems so closed off from me."

"I don't know what to say Julie. Don't worry, everything will be ok. I do know that." I nodded and I stared outside wondering what Nicholas was doing.