Chapter 22

Jordyn POV

This is the last "free" weekend of my junior year. Softball starts Monday so my weekends will be filled with practices or games. I'm not complaining though. This is the first year I'm not dreading the season to start. I love softball, but I always hated being on a team with Alexis because she went out of her way to make it miserable for me. Thank God we are getting along now.

Tonight, Alexis and I are going to eat with my grandparents and my parents.

I should be focused on my family tonight, but I'm excited for tomorrow. Paige says she has a surprise for us. I have no idea what it could be. I usually can figure them out, but she has given me no hints.

My mom told Alexis and me to make sure we look our best for dinner. She always acts crazy when we have to do things with her sides of the family. This usually causes her to get moody. I'm assuming there is past tension with her parents and her that she won't let go. Overall, it affects our relationship with her side of the family. We see my dad's side of the family all the time, but when it comes to my mom's side, it always seems like it's a burden on them.

I was done getting ready, or so I thought.

"You aren't wearing that." My mom demands sending me back to my room.

I tried going with jeans and a t-shirt. I go back to my room and try number two. I put on black leggings with a cute long dress shirt. If she complains about this, I'll go naked and see what she thinks. I straighten my hair, but then put some braids that swoop back.

Don't worry, she approves of this. Alexis gets away wearing jeans and a nice shirt. Mom kept her mouth shut because she has no control on Alexis. Alexis will fight back. I probably should take a page out of her book and get some fight in me, but I hate useless arguments.

Once we were ready to go, Alexis grabbed her keys. "Can we drive ourselves?" She asks my mom.

Our mom shakes her head. "No! We need to go like a family." She tries to defend her reasoning.

Alexis places her hand on her hip. "We can meet in the parking lot and walk in together. You know they will already be inside. They won't have to know that we didn't pack away in a car together and sit in traffic with awkward silence."

My mom looks at my dad who doesn't seem to care what we do.

"Whatever. I don't want you two screwing around. You better go straight there. There better be no funny business." She gives us her serious eyes.

Alexis grabs my arm. The drive was about forty minutes because we are eating in the town my grandparents live in.

To make the drive go by faster, I decide to strike up a conversation with Alexis. "What is going on with Jake and you?"

She glances at me then back at the road. "What do you mean what's going on?"

"You two have been messing around for a while. I know you aren't doing anything with anyone else. I haven't heard of him with another girl, so why haven't you guys made it official?"

Alexis tries to dodge the question by turning the music up, but I turn it back down.

Alexis never talks about her love life. She doesn't mind knowing others and talking about theirs. When it comes to hers, she goes mute. I sit there and wait for her to answer.

She finally gives in. "I don't know what you want me to say."

"The truth." I simply say.

Alexis shrugs her shoulders. "I like him. He likes me."