Chapter 39

Hi!

Didn't manage to post earlier... sorry, about that, but I'll keep trying! Thank you all so much for your support. Anna is on the brink of a major spell of trouble, and I'm itching to know what you're thinking! Thank you all for reading, and have a wonderful week!

Lara

_____________________________________________________

Chapter 39

It was a fact. The Force’s surveillance car felt stuffy and claustrophobic. Spelled devices, machines, and high tech equipment, no matter where the eye looked. Looked like the Circle had brought out the big guns this time. I stifled the urge to raise an eyebrow and tuned into Brown’s instructions again.

“We divided the area and set up three sections, moving in concentric circles,” Brown said, pointing at the map on the display of the computer. “This is the outer section, the third one, which holds members of our forces: the Force and TF3. If anybody with a hint of a vampiric aura comes close they’ll alarm everyone. Alexander is in charge of section number two, since the vampires are the ones most likely to be able to identify the bounty hunter. If the third section reports any sightings of the assassin, he and his vampires will go after him before he can even come close. Finally, there is the first section, the innermost circle. This is the immediate vicinity around Frank Currol. This one’s a bit of a problem. Initially I wanted to put more of our guards closer to the mayor. It seems that the New York police department, however, doesn’t approve of this.”

I nodded absently. It was an open secret that human forces, including the police and the FBI, were disinclined to cooperate with forces of the Circle. Besides, close protection of the mayor was the police’s job.

Brown, meanwhile, continued. “They refuse to let anyone guard Currol except for his team of bodyguards. I’ve been able to position one of our men in the entrance area of the lobby. Anna, I want you to go to the entrance and wait outside.” He pointed on the map again. “They’ll come out here to bring him to his car. I want you to make sure that he gets into that car safely. From there we will guard him with four cars of all the forces. He will be brought to one of the police’s training facilities. This is strictly human territory. Once he’s arrived there, there’s nothing we can do for him.”

* * *

I checked my watch again, sighing. When I first took up my position outside the Municipal building, a mini receiver in my ear, I felt very much like the female version of James Bond. But that was ten minutes ago. The insight that my position was not what one would call a vital strategic point had come and gone. In fact, I’d become reconciled with the idea of me at least being part of the rescue mission in some way.

So when it happened, I was completely and utterly unprepared for it. I heard it over the receiver.

“33. Code 10! Powerful vampire approaching! I repeat, powerful vampire approaching!”

I tensed. One of the witches positioned in the third section had sensed the aura of a vampire. Static crackled inside my ear like a miniature thunderstorm.

“31. Visual contact established!” I heard somebody else yell into the line.

I brought my hand up to the mini receiver, adjusting the earpiece. Alexander and his vampires were on the move, more than half of them leaving their posts to pursue the undead bounty hunter. Apparently it really was him.

Damn! I stared up and scanned the night sky. Nothing. Here I was stuck at the entrance to observe. Had I really choked Jack and a room waitress into unconsciousness for that?