10. A Square

I'm soo excited...things are about to get so much more interesting ;D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BRENDAN

She'd seen it. I'd seen it too. Through the tiny crack of mesh in the tent, we saw it all. She kissed him.

I turned my head slowly towards Nike, who's eyes were wide and lip was quivering. I didn't say anything just yet, so instead I turned to see my brother's reaction.

He looked like he was in a dream. Happiest I'd ever seen him. I was right to believe that he didn't care about Nike as much as I did. He didn't care at all. All this time just leading her on, giving her his jacket and acting like he cared so very much, all a lie.

"...Nike?" I asked gently, and she looked at the floor of the tent. A single tear fell to the ground, and I tried to figure out how to comfort her. "Are you ok?" I asked dumbly. Obviously she wasn't, I thought. Obviously she really did like Ash. But he just had to go and do what he did best- break another heart.

"I'm going back to bed." She croaked quietly, but I slipped my hand in hers before she could lie back down. Bad timing. No, this was not the time for me to have my chance with her. Just be her friend now...that's what she needs.

"Nike....I'm sorry." She looked up me, smiling wanly.

"You're not the one I want to hear it from." She wiped the tear from her cheek. "I don't care. It doesn't matter."

"Nike..."

"What?" She demanded almost harshly, but I had nothing to say. Nothing except...no. Not now.

"That's just they way he is. He's always been like that, he's-"

"No. He's not like that. She is. She kissed him, he didn't kiss her. He doesn't...no." Nike's posture straightened, and she drew her hand away.

"Don't-"

"I'm going to bed."

"We have to go out and guard,"

"I...fine." She rolled her eyes and got out of the tent. I followed, immensly worried about her. "Alright, our shift." She said to Ash and Nike, but something about seeing them seemed to have shaken her further. They got up, bidding their goodnights, but Ash just walked past her, silent. Her whole body seemed to fall slightly. Nike and I sat down next to the lantern and I looked at her from the corner of my eye sadly.

"Nike?"

"Leave me alone." I felt as if she shoved a dagger straight into my heart and twisted it. Why couldn't she see I was only trying to help her? That's right. She didn't want to realize the truth.

ASH

I never thought it would be her. Scratch that, of course I did. I'd always seen her around and wondered what more there was to her than her beauty and her brains. She looked so much more petite than Nike, with a kinder, gentler seeming nature, although I now knew she was just the opposite. She was going to drive me insane.

"Lynae, can you talk to me?" I asked gently, handing her one of my blankets. She declined.

"I could, but I won't."

"Will you please?"

"No,"

"And why not?" Lynae spun around to face me, inches away from me. I felt her hot breath right in front of my face, and her blue eyes softened. I knew she thought I was just playing her like everyone else, but I wasn't. Usually, girls would follow me like dogs, but for once, the roles were reversed. And that was driving me crazy.

"Because you shouldn't be able to get every girl you lay eyes on, Colby," How had she seemed so sweet and innocent only hours ago, when now, she was tearing my heart out of my chest?

"You're right. But you're different. I've never seen anyone like you before, Lyn." Her brow furrowed.

"What, someone who isn't begging on their knees for you?"

"But you kissed me," I pressed on, and she was beginning to look defeated. I sat just a bit closer to her.

"I thought you'd leave me alone."

"Well now I'll never be able to," I replied coolly, and she sighed, drawing back away from me.

"Isn't that just too bad?" She hissed, and lay down in one corner of the tent. Seconds later, she was asleep. I crept outside the tent next to my brother.

"What do I do?" I groaned, burying my face in my hands. He gave me a startled look.

"You already kissed her-what more do you want?" Brendan asked bitterly, and Nike made no eye contact.

"Looks like the tables are turned, huh?" She finally said, and stood up. I got to my feet also, raising a brow.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked her, walking over.

"It means that for once, it seems you're not the one leading people on. Now you're the one who's fallen to prey." I stepped back in shock.

"What's wrong with you?"

"Well, Ash, I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm not one who enjoys being prey," She snapped, and ran up the basement stairs and away into the darkness of the night.