Blinksy's Declassified Writing Survival Guide

Writing is not always the road less-traveled. With millions of writers accessable online and in print and the imaginable hundreds of thousands outside of that range, writing is a very popular, highly-competitive, and age-old artistic medium. Maybe you're young and new at your hobby, or perhaps you're a veteran. Here on Wattpad.com, however, the majority of us are new, young, and ready to jump into the world with our pens in our hands and a blaze in our hearts. So, how do we make our best even better? What makes a first draft caterpillar into a final draft monarch? Well, here are a few simple tips for better writing (or something like that).

TIP #1-- Never be satisfied with it hot off the press.

    You've had that idea in your head, the one that sets your hands ablaze with the desire to get words on the page. Then you do just that-- you type, you scribble, you write. But with your excited words on the page, there are some things to remember:

+Your first draft is not your best! You can always do better than your inital story.

+It has some errors, whether factual or grammatical.

+The style and/or pacing is likely to be riddled with inconsistencies.

+It's perfectly okay to publish your first draft, but don't make it into your final draft. In other words, you can post it, but you shouldn't leave it untouched for good. Always, always, always edit your first draft. So many writers here on Wattpad remain content with their first turnout. This produces a piece that betrays the talent or skill of the author.

+Write it, then rewrite it, then rewrite it again until it's exactly as you want it and more.

TIP #2-- Inspiration can be looked for, but not created.

    In a writer's life, there are days when simply existing is enough to fuel our hobby or job. However, there will be times when inspiration has a hard time rounding the corner. In such situations, there are a few ways to make sure all the streetlights are on for you.

+Listening to moody music, watching profound films, and reading stylistic literature may sound overrated as sources of inspiration, but they really aren't. I cannot count on both hands how many times a song has struck a chord with me, opening the door to an emotional foundation for a good story. Movies and books you love can have the exact same effect!

+Classic stories are gold mines, I tell you. Gold mines! Everyone knows Beauty and the BeastSnow White and the Seven DwarvesCinderella (known to Grimm fans as Ashputtel), and Sleeping Beauty. The high level of notoriety attributed to these tales makes creating a relatable spin-off or fracturing easy like a knife through butter. People have attached themselves to these stories and will always be able to relate to a well-structured retelling. See if you can locate the heart of the story, stick your fingers all in it, and twist it around like Play-Doh in a day-care center.

+Be narcissistic. Think about yourself for a while. The best stories really are about you. Did you have an especially troubling moment in your childhood? Can you remember the last time you kissed someone? Where were you the last time you told someone, "I hate you"? Write about what makes you tick.

TIP #3-- Keep your friends close and your writing friends closer.

    As a writer, it is pertinent that you keep your products in ship shape. However, this can become a very difficult task. Sometimes, it seems that the more you rewrite the more tired your muscles of godlike creation can become. (Yes, even gods of multiple worlds experience fatigue!) This is where your writer buddies come in. You cannot underestimate the power of the writers you know. You may not agree 100% with their styles, characters, worlds, etc. but they will definitely be of use to you. Your writing buddies can: