Underdog

A tap at her window interrupted her concentration. A small smile crept onto her lips as she ran to the window, throwing her homework to the side. As she pulled the curtains back, she was greeted by Nick's familiar face. A grin playing on his lips. She opened the window wide enough for him to climb through, and then watched him silently.

"You're late." She teased. He came in like this almost every night. "I thought you weren't going to come today." Her eyes saddened at her words.

"Nah. I was just a little busy finishing some things." He shoved a guitar through the window, and then his own feet came through and landed on her wooden floor.

"A guitar? Where'd you get that?" Her eyes lit up. She loved music. But she had no idea Nick was a musician.

"A while, I guess." He brushed it off like it was nothing. Her eyes trailed over the guitar once more, still surprised.

"Oh alright. Well what's it doing here?" A grin lit up his face once again.

"Well, I wanted you to be the first to hear it."

"Hear what exactly?" She looked at him with confusion written all over her face. Nick rolled his eyes.

"My song, obviously." He retorted.

"Song?" 

"Yes, my first song. I thought you'd like to hear it." Realization overcame her.

"Oh, right. Why exactly are you writing songs?" 

"I dunno. Just thought it'd be cool. And I found out I really like it. So maybe I'll write some more. And let you listen to them too." He shrugged.

"Yeah, that'd be cool." She tried to seem calm. She didn't want to scare him off. Nick was one of the few people who wanted to spend time with her. She wasn't exactly popular.

"Well anyways, do you wanna hear this song or not?" A blush crept up onto her cheeks.

"Oh sorry. Go ahead." He smiled and shook his head. He picked up his guitar and positioned his hands. And he began to strum. And Nick performed his first song to Brooke.

"She's an underdog.

Lives next door to me.

She's always heard you won't amount to anything.

And it kills me to watch the agony behind her eyes.

Tragic the way people pass her by.

But now I realize,

That everyone sees her,

But nobody knows her.

She screams in her pillow,

For a better tomorrow.

She hates it,

But she takes it,

Watch out for that girl. 

One day she may change the world.

She's original.

Never trying to fit in.

She's got a way to always go,

Against the grain.

Oh yeah.

Someday they'll see how beautiful she really is.

I know the last will be the first.

The tables gonna turn cause,

Maybe she'll be in a movie.

Maybe she'll be in a song.

Better pay her some attention,

Before she's gone.

She's an underdog.

Yeah.

She means the world to me."

When Nick finished, he lifted his head and his eyes met Brooke's dark green ones. There was a softness playing in his eyes, and for a split second Brooke noticed it. But as quickly as she noticed it was there, it vanished. And Brooke was left feeling uncertain once again.

"So, do ya like it?"  Nick's voice broke the silence. Brooke nodded. 

"It was great." Her eyes fell to the floor. "I didn't know you were so talented." A blush crept onto her cheeks once more. He laughed.

"Thanks Brooke." She looked up at him and noticed his eyes staring at her, with that same softness. "You're pretty great too." Nick took his guitar and began to crawl back out the window.

"See you later." She whispered. He grinned at her.

"Someday you're going to change the world, Brooke. I know it." 

Picture of Brooke on the side.