6: Carrots and Arrows

Ember's P.O.V

The sharp ringing sound wakes Alex up behind me and I slam my hand down on the alarm clock aggressively. "Good morning." I say with fake cheer. He smiles at me and walks into the bathroom with a change of clothes.

I rise from the chair I had been seated on for what seemed like forever and yawn sleepily. The rain has been pouring down heavily non-stop since we got here, not that Alex would notice. He's too much of an optimist sometimes.

Suddenly a movement catches my eye on the computer screen. I look back down at the camera feed form the reception and swear.

Three guys in suits just walked in. One of them holds out a shiny badge to the woman at the desk and shows her a photo. "Alex, they're here." He rushes out fully dressed, I was already in a hoodie and jeans.

I peak out round the curtain and scan the view. Carrots is opposite the entrance, hiding in the shadows at the edge of an alley. I also spot Arrow Guy on a rooftop with his stupid bow.

"We need to split up, I'll distract them, you take Ghost and get the hell out of here." I tell Alex.

"I'm not leaving you to get caught." He argues back. Of course he has to try and play the hero. I won't admit it to him but if he comes he'll slow me down and reduce my options. He's a fast runner but he doesn't have the same abilities as me.

"Too bad, Carrots and Arrows are outside at front watching rhe entrance. That means that they'll have other highly trained agents surrounding the building on every side. There is a high chance I can't escape this time. I don't want you or Ghost getting caught and I have some things I'd rather not fall into their hands." I argue.

He looks at me and I can tell he is considering risking himself to let me escape. "Alex, please. I can't watch you get hurt and I might still escape. It's harder if there are multiple people." I beg. He has to understand.

He sighs and nods, I hand him everything but my general stuff. He takes it quietly, but I know once he has agreed to something he will not go back on it ever. I'm not letting anything precious to me get into enemy hands. "Good luck Ember." He says smiling sadly at me.

I run at him and give him a bear hug, my voice breaking. "See you soon Alex. Wait five minutes then leave." That should be enough time for almost all the agents to be at my feet and far enough away to give him a window. "If you get caught I'll kill you." I joke at him.

He nods and replies "That's much better than what I'll do to you if you leave me."

I sling my rucksack over my shoulder exiting the room. This was going to be interesting.

***

I stare down from the roof, having last minute thoughts. They would expect me to run out the back not this. I make up my mind and walk backwards slowly taking a deep breath.

Closing my eyes, I quickly sprint forwards, jumping across the road and down four stories. London's buildings had nice rooftops I have to admit.

Black mist pours from my hands and I propel myself towards Katniss as I've decided to call Arrow Guy. He notices me with barely any time and roles aside.

I swing a fist at him and using his distaction as a opportunity, kick him straight where it hurts.

I pick up his bow and arrows as well as pickpocketing his gun before swinging a second blow at his stomach. He falls over backwards.

Dropping his archery gear down onto the road, I wave and continue running with a smile on my face. Adrenaline pumps through my veins and I catapult myself across the city.

A fighter plane of sorts speeds over my head loudly and I know I need to get back down on the streets. I hop over a final road before swing myself down over the edge. I don't hide the black mist I use to slow myself down as I fall.

Unfortunately luck is not on my side today. I land right next to a man dressed in an embarrassingly tight brightly coloured costume.

I sprint puzzled at his circus attire until suddenly I realise who he is. They have to set Captain America after me! If the Avengers are involved my chances of survival have gotten extremely low.

The cogs in my brain turn until a second worrying epiphany comes to me. If he's Captain America, that means Carrots is the Black Widow and Katniss is Hawkeye. I am doomed.

However thinking about it, a smile tugs at the corner of my mouth. I beat two of the best hand-to-hand combat experts at just that. They must be so pissed at themselves.

Although to be fair, not the best idea to annoy them when it is almost certain they'll capture me.

Stop being such a pessimist I chastise myself. Negativity is not helping right now, I need the opposite.

Plans run through my head. I need an idea soon or I won't last ten minutes.

Suddenly, I think to myself, what is the point of simply running if you can play on their weaknesses...

A/N once again sorry for not updating sooner. I wrote this yesterday but I forgot to publish it. I know, I'm an idiot.
Please keep reading and comment any things you think I could improve.

-TheBookThief11