Chapter 3

Chapter Three

 Not today! Shahkara rammed her knee into the attacker's groin. He loosened his grip as he grunted out a growl. Her talons gouged his face and blood pelted the air. His clawed hands lashed at her but she leapt away.

 I refuse to die today. Her breathing ragged, she blinked at her adversary's grey hair and craggy face. Max's bodyguard!

 'You're a Taloner?' Jack laughed. 'The Master would love it! I'll make you a deal. Kill him and you can have his heart. All I need is his head.'

 'No!' Blood dripped down her arm, tickling her flesh even as her skin started to heal.

 'You can feed on him — or whatever else. I just need him dead by the end of the night.'

 'I want him alive.'

 'But you're a Taloner. You can't possibly—'

 Her talons whipped towards his carotid artery but he deflected. She was forced to retreat. 'I am half-human.'

 'You're half-Taloner? So you don't want to feed?' He laughed again. 'You're keen on him! Oh, this is rich, especially when you've practically served him up on a plate to me. I've been trying to kill Max for weeks but there's always been another guard around. You flash your long lashes and bingo!'

 She edged closer towards the kitchen. 'You are his bodyguard. Slaying him negates your code.'

 'Our creed is to our own kind, not humans. They are prey. Or pawns, like Max. Why aren't you part of the coven and why do you betray your blood? Were you raised by a woman who had no idea what she'd slept with?'

 Had her mother lain elsewhere? She knew nothing except that her father the King had not been a Taloner.

 'Not very chatty, are you?' His gaze was menacing as he approached. 'Join our coven.'

 'No.' Her fingers scaled the edge of the kitchen bench.

 'Let me have the boy. You can't protect him as a half-blood. You're too weak.'

 Shahkara snatched the chicken knife from the bench and hurled it at him. His taloned-hands flew upwards to shield his head, as she dived forward and sank her claws into his belly.

 He roared like a lion and stumbled backwards, dragging her with him to the floor.

 Pain ripped through her shoulder. The knife! He'd caught it and thrust it into her collarbone. Blood slicked her skin as she struggled against him on the tiles. She twisted her hand inside his gut and clutched for his heart.

 He tried stabbing her again, but her other hand snapped hold of his wrist, holding him and the blade firm.

 'If I die, someone else will kill him.'

 'Not if I kill them first!'

 Sweat licked her brow as she strained to overpower him. Her hand trembled against his greater strength. She was caving. She had to be strong! Jada…

 Her hand faltered, he broke free.

 The blade surged towards her. No! Heart pounding, she grappled to free her hand from his insides, but it was trapped by his labyrinth of gut.

 Crack! Steel against bone. A grunt escaped his lips, his blade dropped to the floor, and his lifeless body collapsed against her. Praise Danu!

 And there, standing over them, was Max — gripping a large frypan. He'd saved her!

 His lips parted to speak but the words froze on his tongue.