Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Harry and Chloe looked out the window, trying to figure out what had pecked on the glass. But all they saw were the trees in her backyard swaying in the wind. They looked at each other, but then shrugged it off.

*************

Harry and Chloe woke up on the floor of her room, surrounded by what seemed like billions of stuffed animals. Chloe had her head resting on Harry's arm like a pillow, and Harry had the back of his head on a huge stuffed polar bear. Chloe's eyes fluttered open and she yawned, causing Harry to wake. He blinked and rubbed his eyes from beneath his glasses with his free arm, and he realized he had fallen asleep with them on. Chloe gave him a small smile.

"Good morning." she said to him. He gave her a grin.

"Good morning." he said. Suddenly Chloe's eyes shot open, realization sweeping over her like a blanket. He looked at her confused, and was about to ask her what was wrong when she suddenly shouted, "Your letter!" and stood up. His eyes widened as well as Chloe ran to her bedroom door and into the hall. He followed her downstairs, hoping that they still had a chance.

"Chloe! There's something in the mail for you! And....Harry?" Aunt Harriet said as she picked up the mail from the doorstep. Chloe and Harry ran out just in time to see his Uncle Vernon on the doorstep of Chloe's house. He had an angry expression on his face as he ripped Harry's letter from Aunt Harriet's grasp.

"I'll take this, you little monsters!" he said and ripped it to pieces. Aunt Harriet watched in shock. Suddenly Vernon took Chloe's letter and ripped it up as well. Chloe glared at him as the shredded pieces of paper fell to the ground. Harry's heart felt heavy, his hopes dashed to pieces.

"You can't do that! That was my mail, you ugly old coot!" Chloe shouted at the unappealing troll. He just glared down at her, his mustache twitching. Chloe angrily looked up at him, their staring contest continuing for a few seconds.

"Mr. Dursley, that was rude of you!" Chloe's aunt said.

"Get used to it, he isn't going to change anytime soon." Chloe stated, not taking her gaze off of the blob standing before her. Harry just watched it all happen, unsure of what to think.

"How did little Dudley like his birthday present?" Chloe asked Vernon, a smirk on her face. Vernon just growled and clenched his fists.

"Dudley enjoyed it very much." he said, but everyone could tell he was lying. Chloe turned to Harry, a sad grin on her face.

"I'll talk to you later," she said and hugged Harry good-bye. "I'm sorry the plan didn't work as well as I thought it would." she whispered into his ear as he hugged her back.

"It's alright, it was worth a shot." Harry whispered to her. Vernon pulled them apart, then dragged Harry down the steps of Chloe's porch. Harry gazed up at Chloe one last time, and realized how pretty she looked in the early morning light. She waved good-bye, and he did so as well. Vernon just grumbled and cursed under his breath, then they both walked into the Dursley's house.

Vernon slammed the door behind them, and glared evilly at Harry.

"You're never going to get those letters and that's that! Just give up!" Vernon shouted and walked upstairs, probably to take a nap because of all the stress he was going through. Harry just stood there in the doorway, trying to decide if he should go back out to talk to Chloe, or hide away in his little room underneath the staircase.

"In trouble again, are we?" Harry heard a little voice snicker behind him. He turned around, and came face-to-face with his evil cousin, Dudley. The ugly boy quickly punched Harry in the stomach before the poor child could do anything to protect himself. He fell to his knees, the wind knocked out of him, as Dudley ran through the house chuckling evilly. Secretly, Harry hoped that somehow Chloe would come walking through the door, see him laying there on the ground, and help him to his feet, asking if he was alright, her usual amazing smile on her face.

But instead he just lay there, wallowing in self-pity. After a few minutes, Harry stood up, his hands still on his stomach, and walked into the kitchen. His aunt was cooking lunch on the skillet, pretending as if she hadn't discovered what had happened in the hall.

"I think I need some fresh air." Harry said and wobbled out the back door and into the yard. He hadn't been out there for three seconds til he heard someone calling his name from the other side of the white picket fence. He looked to his left, a huge grin on his face, and saw none other than his best friend Chloe, leaning against the fence.

"Harry, are you feeling alright?" she asked once she realized that he was limping over to the border of the property. She quickly put a hand over her mouth in shock.

"Did Vernon beat you?" she asked almost in a whisper. Harry shook his head back and forth. Chloe rolled her eyes.

"Dudley?" she asked.

"Dudley." he confirmed and they quickly made their way to their secret hideout. Behind both their backyards was a small forest made up of no more than twenty trees. Up on the highest branch of the tallest tree, was a small house they had made themselves. Chloe let Harry climb up first, reassuring him that if he fell she would catch him. Once they both were up there, they sighed and sat beside each other.

"You know, maybe we could run away." Chloe suddenly said. Harry just stared at her, a confused expression on his face.

"What do you mean?" he asked her. She rolled her eyes.

"You know what I mean. We could just pack up and get out of here." she explained to him simply. He thought for a second.

"Where would we go? We wouldn't last a week out there alone." Harry said sadly. They both sighed in frustration.

"Harry!" they heard Vernon shout from the front porch of Harry's house. Chloe and Harry immediately stood up in alarm. Chloe groaned.

"What does he want now?" she asked. Harry shrugged and climbed back down.

"Harry," Chloe called from above. Harry looked up once he reached the ground. She smiled down at him. "Meet me up here tonight at eight." she told him. He nodded, a goofy grin on his face, and rushed to meet his uncle.

What Harry didn't know was that he wouldn't get to meet his best friend that night.